• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss service - terra binos (1 Viewer)

Received my bino's back today as promised by Mike along with a few farkels for the delay.
As I have noted before in other threads I have been very pleased with the performance of this bino. Problems happen, am just glad this one was so quickly resolved.

Let me first put this into context…. I really like Zeiss, I'm very happy with my Victory FL 8x42, and plan on keeping it a long time…

That said, I've got to ask… is the Terra automatic replacement policy just a way of foisting design testing and quality control onto the purchaser? Is it a way of finding out what should have been found out by proper and arduous pre-production testing? It just seems kinda fishy…

I'd really like to be wrong.
Mike

This is a new category for Zeiss that brings great challenges and great rewards. Our user base has grown significantly and familiarity with the brand is growing exponentially. Our brand research proves this. However, we recognize that one of the largest challenges for a super premium brand offering only +$1000 products, is that when the developing user (we all started with less expensive products) gets to a financial level to afford +$1000 products, the challenge is getting that consumer familiar with the brand and actually getting them to "switch" brands, from what they were using. All premium companies share this similar challenge. Terra gives us a giant base of developing optics enthusiast the opportunity to enter a premium brand with a reasonable level of expense. If that user has a "good experience" with the brand, we keep them and they grow to a Conquest or Victory consumer. However, they MUST have a good experience with Terra and we must maintain "Best in Class" product at the Conquest and Victory level. Our goal was always to offer "Best in Class" quality for the Terra price segment. It has proven to be a VERY competitive product. Our USA Terra replacement policy is to guarantee users an "excellent experience" with Zeiss, even if for some reason the product has a service issue.
At this level, we are not only selling Terra binoculars, we are selling the Zeiss brand experience through offering "impeccable" service. This was the driving reason for our policy.

This is a new category for Zeiss that brings great challenges and great rewards. Our user base has grown significantly and familiarity with the brand is growing exponentially. Our brand research proves this. However, we recognize that one of the largest challenges for a super premium brand offering only +$1000 products, is that when the developing user (we all started with less expensive products) gets to a financial level to afford +$1000 products, the challenge is getting that consumer familiar with the brand and actually getting them to "switch" brands, from what they were using. All premium companies share this similar challenge. Terra gives us a giant base of developing optics enthusiast the opportunity to enter a premium brand with a reasonable level of expense. If that user has a "good experience" with the brand, we keep them and they grow to a Conquest or Victory consumer. However, they MUST have a good experience with Terra and we must maintain "Best in Class" product at the Conquest and Victory level. Our goal was always to offer "Best in Class" quality for the Terra price segment. It has proven to be a VERY competitive product. Our USA Terra replacement policy is to guarantee users an "excellent experience" with Zeiss, even if for some reason the product has a service issue.
At this level, we are not only selling Terra binoculars, we are selling the Zeiss brand experience through offering "impeccable" service. This was the driving reason for our policy.

@ Mike…. thank you for the prompt and frank reply. Keep up the good work.

The rubbish objective covers would negate that statement immediately, even Vanguard do better, way better, and I own one !

Best wishes,

I never used mine and never missed them. Some come without them like my Leica 8x42 Ultravid BL. Others are worse than nothing like the simple individual lens caps that came with Nikon's EIIs and SEs and Swift's 8.5x44 Model 804.

Bob

Mike,

That's a good marketing strategy. When Swarovski first came out with the CL Companion, they stated in the video that the aim of the CL Companion was to provide a more affordable way to introduce buyers to the Swarovski "family of optics." The Companion is selling for $979 on Amazon, hardly an introductory bin price. Most CL owners on BF already owned Swaro alphas, they weren't introducing the brand to new customers. Annabeth is the only BF member I can think of who bought one as her first Swaro. Even Swaro's smallest roof, the CL Pocket, costs $800.

Glad to see that Zeiss was willing to get down in the dirt and mingle with the common man. Of course, you had the Diafun before this, so it wasn't the first time Zeiss has offered an "everyman" bin.

Even though it was a business decision, it still took some risk. If you read the threads on the Swaro forum when the Terra ED was first announced, you would have seen that there were some detractors even before the bin was released, fearing that it would "tarnish the brand" (words that will live in infamy).

As to the Terra's performance, if you've read the threads on this model, a repeated complaint has been the super fast focuser. I'm not the only one who finds it too fast. You might want to pass on that comment to the engineering department.

Brock

Holy crap, the world's first "gateway binocular" for the "developing user." Yeah, give it away. They'll be back. ;)

Seriously, marketing is pretty crass and maybe best kept a "secret."

Last edited:
The rubbish objective covers would negate that statement immediately, even Vanguard do better, way better, and I own one !

Best wishes,

Have to agree, my objective covers stay in the case and I too own the Vanguard ED's, better covers.

That said, I've got to ask… is the Terra automatic replacement policy just a way of foisting design testing and quality control onto the purchaser? Is it a way of finding out what should have been found out by proper and arduous pre-production testing? It just seems kinda fishy…

I'd really like to be wrong.
Mike

I doubt that it is that nefarious. At the price point of the Terra's, and China manufacture with a somewhat long supply chain, it might make sense to just swap out all warranty claims. Since the build cost is quite low, just ship out a new unit. The defective units get collected, processed thru a repair depot somewhere, then resold through a refurb channel. This way, the manufacturer can take as long as they want to perform the repairs, and hopefully retain some good will on the customer side.

Seems reasonable to me.

Jim

Holy crap, the world's first "gateway binocular" for the "developing user." Yeah, give it away. They'll be back. ;)

Seriously, marketing is pretty crass and maybe best kept a "secret."

LOL Mark

But people in glass houses shouldn't, and the world of education has plenty of ugly jargon too:

Bloom's taxonomy
A heirachical framework of learing based on three domains - the cognitive, affective and psychomotor; in the cognitive domain there are six levels of knowledge: knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. In the affective domain there are five levels: receiving phenomenon, responding to phenomenon, valuing, organizing values, and internalizing values. In the psychomotor domain there are seven levels: perception, readiness to act, guided response, mechanism, complex overt action, adaptation, and origination (the psychomotor levels where not originally completed by Bloom).​

I'm off now to experience intuitive-based learning opportunities in order to deliver demographically-targeted positive outcomes.

Or something :eek!:

Lee

:-O

Hey, great to have you back, Lee! We missed your...umm...wit. ;)

Jeepers, I never heard of Benjamin Bloom's taxonomy. It kind of looks like more trouble than it's worth though, especially for an impatient simpleton like me.

As an Americanist I was stuck with Harold Bloom, who is a big enough handful, and kind of a horse's patoot.

And Leopold Bloom? Well, I never quite finished "Ulysses." Don't tell anyone.

Anyway, good to see you. These Zeiss threads sometimes are moribund without you.

Mark

Last edited:
Yo educational Dude

Tell you what: lets go with Orlando Bloom in The Hobbit and especially his new side-kick Tauriel played by the delicious Evangeline Lilly :eek!:.

Great to be back in town and thanks for the greeting.

Leo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back