• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies seen from space (1 Viewer)

So that's where all the Painted Ladies are :)

Always a species that varies in numbers year to year in Lithuania, but for the first time ever, I didn't see a Painted Lady in this country this year ...which deprived me of beating my top year list from last year!

Back in 2009 I was sitting in the garden here in France when I noticed a procession of butterflies crossing the garden, it took me a while to catch on that it was painted ladies migrating but the scale was staggering - approximately 10 a minute all day long for two days!! The maths is mind blowing especially when I think about the broad front they were traveling on.

Interestingly they all followed almost exactly the same route across our garden and our neighbours' - following a pheromone scent trail?

Amazing. I've only seen a handful this year in London + the south-east, mostly on my local patch with a maximum daily count of 2!

I dipped an American Painted Lady on the Lizard once - Kynance Cove - by a few hours. Always been a bit surprised that there are not more European records. Easily overlooked if you do not check the underwing?

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back