Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 12:28   #76
Hauksen

Moin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollmeise View Post
The round openings all of our various designs enclose the cylindrical pins in a way which enables a positive connection. Positive connections are to prefer relating to sturdyness (In German: vgl. Kraftschluss / Formschluss).
If I understand your drawing correctly, your idea is to make the clamp envelope each of the posts individually at more than one side?

Quote:
Relating to your very last design posted: if I try to pull the yellow clamp to the left (to detach), the 45° angle of the four prism surfaces will lead more than 70% of the force (sin45° x F x frictional coefficient) sidewards causing the yellow clamp's shanks to open.
That's the way to detach it, so I'm fine with that :-) It would probably come off if someone would try to use the sight mounting as a carrying handle, but considering the way the fixed clamp is attached, the forces acting on the mounting should be minimized by the user to begin with.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that, they look interresting! And by the way: did I thank You for the two links to meltwerk and shapeways? They gave me great inspirations too, thanks for that!
Glad you found them useful! Maybe I should also point out thingiverse.com - it's not a printing service, but you can find and download many designs made by others there. Can be inspiring, too!

Tschüs!

Henning
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 22:33   #77
Hauksen

Hi again,

Here's the completed snap-on adapter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap-on Mounting.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	651213

I kept the prismatic mounting since I believe it might work.

I'll have to cross-check everything before contemplating printing, though - first time ever I've used OpenSCAD, I'm not sure I got all of the dimensions right.

Regards,

Henning
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 16:18   #78
Hauksen

Hi again,

Here a version with a dovetail connection:

Name:	Dovetail Mounting.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	651277

It would be a bit cheaper than the snap-around version due to using less machine volume. This might come handy for trying out different adapters, like the "long" mount at 12 o'clock and the short one at 3 o'clock (for which the clamp ring would have to be rotated by 90 degrees).

I still need to make up my mind on how to clamp down on the dovetail. The Astroadapters use a big screw through the side of the dovetail, which is not exactly "snap on", but close enough. (It only pushes against the side of the dovetail foot and doesn't thread into it.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Yesterday, 15:53   #79
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
The sight itself can be mounted and detached, all I need is a 3mm hex wrench.
Maybe I'll replace the hex socket screws by knobs one day to be more independent in the fields..
It just occurred to me that it would be possible to 3D print a new mounting ring for your adapter arm, in case you'd like to switch over from the "screw-down" variant to the "clamp-on" variant.

Here's a picture, with preliminary measurements (10 mm x 10 mm slot, M3 screw), but easy to adapt to the actual measurements of your adapter arm:

Name:	Clamp-on Mounting Ring.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	651719

Regards,

Henning
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: