• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 8x32 review (1 Viewer)

Good review! But don't forget that you now have a choice and can also get a Nikon 8 x 32 Premier (LX L) in the same price range as the Meostar. Nikon's price is $899.00 at Eagle Optics and Cameraland NY. Taken along with Meopta's $800.00 price one now has a small selection of binoculars that are virtually as good as the Alphas at savings of about $500.00.
Bob

Last edited:
Good review! But don't forget that you now have a choice and can also get a Nikon 8 x 32 Premier (LX L) in the same price range as the Meostar. Nikon's price is $899.00 at Eagle Optics and Cameraland NY. Taken along with Meopta's $800.00 price one now has a small selection of binoculars that are virtually as good as the Alphas at savings of about $500.00.
Bob

Watch Astromart for Nikon LXL's. I have purchased an 8x42 LXL and a couple of 8x32 LXL's pretty much brand new for about $500.00. I saw a Nikon 8x42 LXL go for in the $400.00 range not too long ago. They are really deeply discounted because they are getting kind of long in the tooth now.. Whatever you do don't pay $899.00 for a Nikon LXL. I got my Zeiss 8x32 FL's on Astromart for $900.00 and they are like new and they are IMO way superior to the Nikon's. Here is a sample:
[http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=592788

Last edited:
The Nikon 8 x 42 Premier is the old LX L. It has a rather small FOV of 367' at 1000 yards. Some people are susceptible to the "rolling ball" effect while using them. The 8 x 32 Premier has a FOV of 411' at 1000 yards and is priced about $100.00 less than they sold for before Nikon introduced the EDG. They are not being discontinued, but the 10 x 32 version has been dropped. The LX L is still a very good binocular.

As far as getting a Zeiss 8 x 32 FL for $900.00, well, caveat emptor! Here is what CameralandNY is selling them for. Note the price on the Demo!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=523220

Bob

The Nikon 8 x 42 Premier is the old LX L. It has a rather small FOV of 367' at 1000 yards. Some people are susceptible to the "rolling ball" effect while using them. The 8 x 32 Premier has a FOV of 411' at 1000 yards and is priced about $100.00 less than they sold for before Nikon introduced the EDG. They are not being discontinued, but the 10 x 32 version has been dropped. The LX L is still a very good binocular.

As far as getting a Zeiss 8 x 32 FL for $900.00, well, caveat emptor! Here is what CameralandNY is selling them for. Note the price on the Demo!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=523220

Bob

The L on the end is the secret. The Nikon HGL or LXL are the newer lighter model and they are identical. All the Nikon's I have bought have been HGL or LXL and the one that sold on Astromart for $400.00 that I have the link to was an 8x42 LXL. I bought two Nikon 8x32 HGL's for about $500.00. It makes me feel good to see what they are getting for the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

Last edited:
Cameraland's Zeiss demo prices are all over the map, for reasons I can't fathom. I've heard the 8x32 FL go for anywhere between $800 (non-Lotutec) and $1650. I got mine (Lotutec) for $1050. What's behind it? I have no idea. Why the neverending supply? No idea.

Back to the thread...

The Meopta 8x32's are really nice. $799 for 8x and 10x is really a deal and I believe the USA warrantee is transferable.

And another example of a binocular with no competition at it's price.

Cheers

Back to the thread...

The Meopta 8x32's are really nice. $799 for 8x and 10x is really a deal and I believe the USA warrantee is transferable.

And another example of a binocular with no competition at it's price.

Cheers

Thanks, Oleaf. Thanks also to Martin, who sent me a detailed reply to my numerous questions about this bin.

I like what I read, but the BIG question that remains is how well it will fit my hands.

The Nikon 8x32 LX has wonderful optics - sharp, bright, W-I-D-E sweet spot, low aberrations, the best contrast and color depth I've seen in a bin - but the narrow and squat size combined with the lack of thumb indents made it difficult for me to hold.

Also, the sculptured strap mounts, which provide a good "back stop" for small hands, prevented me from putting my thumbs backward for better stability.

After performing hand held and mounted resolution tests against the 8x32 SE, I concluded that the only way for me to see as much detail with the LX as I do with the SE was to mount the LX, which is impractical.

I don't mind carrying around a monopod/head set up for a high powered bin, but for an 8x32, it's absurd.

So I traded the LX for the SE even though I like the LX's contrast and color depth better, the focuser better, the eyecups much better, the FOV better, the lack of blackouts better, the larger image scale better, and the close focus much better, but it made no sense not being see as much detail with the LX as I could with the SE hand held.

Also, since the 8x32 LX has no tripod mount (or central post for a tripod adapter like the SE and EII), I had to mount it in a Nikon Binoc-u-mount saddle, but the bin's so small that I have to crane my neck forward to reach the EPs, which is uncomfortable.

So my #1 requirement for an 8x bin is that it must be comfortable and steady in my hands. THEN it must have optics as stunning as the 8x32 LX or the 8x30 EII.

In the spring, I intend to borrow an 8x32 Meopta and try one for myself. That will tell me what I need to know.

.......it must have optics as stunning as the.....8x30 EII.

I doubt that such an instrument exists on this Dimension, Brock. I´ve been spending lots of time with my EII´s (since selling my EL 8.5x42, to part-pay for the EL-neu´s on order). My hands have gotten more used to the "old-fashioned" narrow focusser, and the porro non-humanoid grip. I fear no view will ever fully satisfy my demands again!;)

The L on the end is the secret. The Nikon HGL or LXL are the newer lighter model and they are identical. All the Nikon's I have bought have been HGL or LXL and the one that sold on Astromart for $400.00 that I have the link to was an 8x42 LXL. I bought two Nikon 8x32 HGL's for about $500.00. It makes me feel good to see what they are getting for the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

My LX L's (8 x 32 and 10 x 32-- both new from Eagle Optics) came in boxes that said HG L on them.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Ron,
from memory I think it is 10 years. I'll have a rummage round and dig out the box and paperwork and post something more definite as soon as I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back