• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (1 Viewer)

In a previous post I told you about the chromatic aberation that I see in my Noctivid 8X42 when I watch a dark bird in the sky.In fact the chromatic aberation appears when the subject comes out of the axis of my observation.So I have to follow the subject precisely if I do not want to see this yellow fringe appear.Worse than in other Leica 8X bins. Has anyone encountered this type of problem with the Noctivid? I don't think it is flare. Thanks.

Correct eye positioning is important to minimize CA. Have you set up the correct IPD? If you wiggle the bins off-axis any bin will produce CA, but some might produce at bit more. Actually it might be a good way to get a grip on possible CA in a bin.

The reports I have seen (and when trying them) notes that Noctivid might have a bit more visible CA, at the edges, than for example Zeiss SF.
Centrally there should be no intrusive CA.
If there is, it might suggest that something is wrong with your bins.

Allbinos estimates CA in their reviews, and I have found that their results correlates pretty good to what I find in bins.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

Last edited:
Apuapu,

I have no problem with CA.

Do you wear spectacles while viewing? I've often wondered what role they play in CA.

Rathaus

Ratty

Specs can play a big part in the occurance of CA simply because the eyepieces don't have a snug eye-socket to fit into and so can easily land on your specs' lenses off-axis, or skid off-axis during use and this can trigger CA. Bins are designed to viewed-through on-axis and not skewed.

Lee

Ratty

Specs can play a big part in the occurance of CA simply because the eyepieces don't have a snug eye-socket to fit into and so can easily land on your specs' lenses off-axis, or skid off-axis during use and this can trigger CA. Bins are designed to viewed-through on-axis and not skewed.

Lee

Cheers Lee. That's an excellent explanation. I might try the NV with some sunglasses and see how they go.

Rathaus

To my eyes the Zeiss 10X42 SF has FAR less visible CA than the 10X42 and 10X50 SV, and even a good bit less than the 8.5X42 SV. If the Noctivid is any worse at correcting CA than the SV I would never be able to live with them no matter how spectacular they are otherwise. CA nitpicking will never make any sense to those that don't see it readily, to those that do, it's a real image spoiler.

Correct eye positioning is important to minimize CA. Have you set up the correct IPD? If you wiggle the bins off-axis any bin will produce CA, but some might produce at bit more. Actually it might be a good way to get a grip on possible CA in a bin.

The reports I have seen (and when trying them) notes that Noctivid might have a bit more visible CA, at the edges, than for example Zeiss SF.
Centrally there should be no intrusive CA.
If there is, it might suggest that something is wrong with your bins.

Allbinos estimates CA in their reviews, and I have found that their results correlates pretty good to what I find in bins.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

Hi SD,

At least in the NV 10x42 I compared with my HT 10x42, the CA correction was very, very good. Almost the same as in the HT. In a very demanding situation....

SD, why don't you just try a NV? It would seem a shame to dismiss a bin that you might really like based on secondhand subjective comparisons.............

Although I am highly satisfied with the NV 8x42, I was surprised how much CA in the central field of view they gave this afternoon watching gashawks against a clair blue sky!

Off topic: That would have been something to see Arran! You're really fortunate to be able to watch goshawks like that - they're pretty secretive in the UK. I understand Brussels and other Belgian cities also have quite a few pairs of urban peregrines?

Hello everyone. Today, I could watch hundreds of black kites in my coutry in migration (going to Africa). The sky was cloudy. It was impossible to follow them without seeing the CA in my noctivid 8X42. The AC is much better controlled in my trinovid 8 X 50 BN!

Hello everyone. Today, I could watch hundreds of black kites in my coutry in migration (going to Africa). The sky was cloudy. It was impossible to follow them without seeing the CA in my noctivid 8X42. The AC is much better controlled in my trinovid 8 X 50 BN!

Is it longitudinal or lateral CA you see? Purple, green, blue, red, cyan? If things are not perfect in focus you might see CA of that reason. I would compare the bins under more controlled circumstances.

The compact design of the Noctivid might add to the CA. A longer binocular like the Trinovid 8x50 would be easier to design with less CA, even if it lacks "HD-glass".

According to Allbinos the 10x42 Trinovid have quite good CA control, but not perfect.

http://www.allbinos.com/148-binoculars_review-Leica_Trinovid_10x42_BN.html

Off topic: That would have been something to see Arran! You're really fortunate to be able to watch goshawks like that - they're pretty secretive in the UK. I understand Brussels and other Belgian cities also have quite a few pairs of urban peregrines?

We have a pair in Sheffield too!
Lee

Vespobuteo,
In fact the chromatic aberation appears when the subject comes out of the axis of my observation.So I have to follow the subject precisely if I do not want to see the yellow fringe appear. I think my Noctivid are well adjusted. I know for the 50. I've owned Leica 10 X 50 Trinovid ans Ultravid. But now I am 52 years old and I need more deep of field. That's why I bought the 8 X 42!

Vespobuteo,
In fact the chromatic aberation appears when the subject comes out of the axis of my observation.So I have to follow the subject precisely if I do not want to see the yellow fringe appear. I think my Noctivid are well adjusted. I know for the 50. I've owned Leica 10 X 50 Trinovid ans Ultravid. But now I am 52 years old and I need more deep of field. That's why I bought the 8 X 42!

Sounds like the normal lateral CA, I see slight yellow fringing in my 8.5x42 Swaro SV as well at some occasions, more so at the edges of the field. I would't worry to much about it especially considering that the NV have superior glare/flare control and contrast.
If a 8x32 NV is released in the future I will most likely get one. :t:

I recently returned from a birding trip to the Mobile Bay/Dauphin Island/Gulf Shores, AL area. Mainly interested in terns/gulls/shore birds and such. I carried a variety of optics with me. The optics that got the most use were the SV 8.5X42, SV 8X32, Leopold GR 12-40X60 HD scope, and lastly the Noctivid 10X42.

The Noctivids were used extensively and probably the most of anything I used, SV 8.5X42 would be next. The beach, ocean, lagoons, rising sun, setting sun...practically any condition you can think of proved to be no issue for the Noctivid. Quite honestly, it is hard to find fault with this binocular. First time I have seen a snowy egret IN the surf....quite a beautiful image.....blue ocean, white sand, yellow feet, black legs, white body. Striking. IMO this was a perfect scenario for a 10X42 binocular. I brought along a SV 10X50 but saw no need...it never left the case.

The focus adjustment is excellent. It's just as tight and precise as the first day I opened the box. The eyecup adjustments are simply super with very precise settings. I see no glare to speak of. EASY to see the difference between the SV 8X32 and the Noctivid.

Overall...VERY pleased. I can't imagine anyone not being pleased with this binocular.

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 302
Hello every body. Last month,I was talking about my yellow fringe problem on my Leica Noctivid 8 X 42 (lateral CA). I have send an email to Leica France. Here is the answer of a technical manager: " It is not necessary to return your product to SAV, this fringe is the result of an optical formula without concession.
Indeed, if we corrected this fringe then it would have had a significant negative impact on the general rendering (balance between light transmission, contrast and neutrality of colors)". I am not convinced...

Hello every body. Last month,I was talking about my yellow fringe problem on my Leica Noctivid 8 X 42 (lateral CA). I have send an email to Leica France. Here is the answer of a technical manager: " It is not necessary to return your product to SAV, this fringe is the result of an optical formula without concession.
Indeed, if we corrected this fringe then it would have had a significant negative impact on the general rendering (balance between light transmission, contrast and neutrality of colors)". I am not convinced...

I do not think it's a very serious or convincing answer.

But don't worry can be worse.........my Noctivid was sent to maintenance and 2 months later arrives from Leica binocular facilities untouched !!!!!

The main issue the diopter wheel rotates at the same time that focus wheel in some degree.

The most funny thing is that i wrote a letter and put together with the binoculars talking about the problem but nobody care, well the only thing that they care is to remove the lens caps and give me back the binocular without it.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying this binocular immensely.

I have a couple of very small gripes...so small they could be considered inconsequential.

The first concerns the 18 chunky ribs on the focus knob. A focuser this sensitive and precise, IMO, calls for not only thinner ribs, but perhaps double the number of ribs (the equivalent SV has about 36). During very sensitive focusing, negotiating these ribs with a finger can sometimes feel like negotiating smooth speed bumps on a very smooth road. Unnessary in this binocular.

The second area for improvement, IMO, is the objective cap structure. The inner rubber locking ring is so deeply recessed that if it is not precisely pressed into the objective housing, its inner edge is highly prone to touching and smudging the lens. Pressing the objective cap at an angle as in the photo below will see it contact and smudge the lens.

I've recently taken all lens caps off for quick deployment so this is a moot point for myself.

Rathaus

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I've been enjoying this binocular immensely.

I have a couple of very small gripes...so small they could be considered inconsequential.

The first concerns the 18 chunky ribs on the focus knob. A focuser this sensitive and precise, IMO, calls for not only thinner ribs, but perhaps double the number of ribs (the equivalent SV has about 36). During very sensitive focusing, negotiating these ribs with a finger can sometimes feel like negotiating smooth speed bumps on a very smooth road. Unnessary in this binocular.

Rathaus

Good for cold and/or glove clad hands though?

LGM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back