• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen Apex vs. Nikon Monarch (with optical introduction) (1 Viewer)

trashbird

Hi, I'm new to birdforum and I tend to get obsessed about optics -- not that I have the bucks for the top-shelf stuff, but I have and have had some nice "middle-shelf" binoculars. Used to have Swift Ultra-Lite 8x42 (really nice optics but tendency to go out of collimation easily); Swift Ultra-Lite 8x32 (also really nice, but eye-relief was poor so I returned them right away). I currently have a Celestron Noble 8x32 (ruggedly built, nice handling, optics not as good as the Ultra-Lites, and barely acceptable eye-relief); B&L Custom Compact 7x26 (the best optics I own, incredibly bright for their size, razor-sharp center field, but a tendency to go out of collimation every now and then). Just a note on the collimation issues: I live in Tucson, Arizona, USA which has very hot summers. I think when a binocular is left in a hot car for any length of time and is bumped just right, it can go out of collimation. Though my roof-prism Celestron Nobles have never done so.

At any rate, recently I wanted some new full-size binocs with a budget of around 300 US$. After researching the web, I was interested in the Nikon Monarch 8x42 and the Swift HHS 8.5x44. The Swift was a little above budget. My requirements were roof-prism, phase-corrected, waterproof nitrogen purged, generous eye-relief, IPD below 58mm. Everything except the low IPD was pretty easy to find in many makes and models. The Nikon Monarchs and Swifts had it all.

A new store, Sportsman' Warehouse just opened up here, and I heard they carried a wide selection of optics. So i decided to actually go look through some binocs before I made a choice. This store carried the Nikon Monarchs but no Swift products. While I was looking through the Nikons, the salesman also showed me the Alpen Alpexes. We went outside and I was able to look around with the Nikons and the Alpens in both the 10x42 and 8x42 configuration. In both the 8x and 10x, the Alpen's were a little brighter than the Monarchs. The eye-relief on both 10x binocs were insufficient for me as a spectacle weare, however. So it came down to the 8x. The Alpen's had 341 ft./1000 yards field of view vs. 330 ft. for the Nikon. The Alpens cost 310 $US while the Nikons cost 290 $US (these prices were better or equal to prices I had seen from internet firms, not even including shipping).

Back inside the store, I looked through the two 8x42 models again, and the Alpens still seemed brighter. I looked at a resolution chart that the store had put up on the wall maybe 100 ft. away. The Alpens had better resolution than the Nikons. Really, the only thing better about the Nikons was the 25-year no-fault warranty, and that is a great selling point. But in the end, I opted for the Alpens. Even their styling seemd a little better to me. Dark green rubber armouring, smooth, nothing fancy. I am also aware that I am basically buying a Vixen binocular that is marketed by Alpen. The specs on the Alpen binocular look suspiciously like those of the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum. One feature the Alpen Apexes have that the EO Platinums don't is something Alpen calls "HR Metallic Coating" on the prisms. I wonder if this is what makes the Alpens look brighter than the Monarchs.

After two birdwatching outings, I am impressed with the brightness and sharpness of the Alpens. I am able to resolve details on birds at a distance that I have never been able to do with any other binoculars I have owned. I like to bird in the late afternoon till dusk, and the Alpens allowed me to still see a lot well into twilight. And looking into the direction of the setting sun, I was able to still see a lot of detail without hardly any glare. There was color-fringing on sharp outlines when looking into the sunlight, but not too bad, and I think even the best binocs wouldn't do much better in this regard. The centerfield-resolution is excellent, as I said, and the resolution stays good till maybe the outer 20% of the field, and even the outer edges of the field are not horrible. I did some star-watching last night. The Orion nebula was a beautiful ball of gas with two distinct stars in the middle, and I was able to make out the star cluster below Sirius, which is pretty good, I think. I don't star-watch all that much, but I could do so pretty nicely with these binocs. Also, I'm glad I went for the 8x rather than the 10x, even disregarding eye relief. After a day of birdwatching, I was a little fatigued and noticed some shaking as I looked at the night sky. This would have been even more pronounced with the 10x.

A couple of negatives on the Alpen Apex 8x42. I could use an IPD that gets a little narrower. The Alpens are 57mm probably and are just barely enough for my eyes. The focus knob on the Alpen is smooth and fast (1-1/2 turn from min to max), but on my binoc the focus hits a couple sticky parts in the range, not really sticky but less smooth. I really only notice it when I am playing around with it at home. In the "heat" of birding, it doesn;t seem to bother me. My Celestron 8x32 on the other hand has perfect focussing motion.

I think I would be perfectly happy with the Nikon Monarch had I not compared it to the Alpen. Also, I am sure I would have felt "bulletproof" with the Nikon no-fault warranty. The Alpens have a Lifetime Warranty, but it doesn't cover negligent or accidental damage. Both the Nikons and the Alpens are really good for the price -- I just thought the Alpens were a little better optically.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to cover everything.

EDIT: I want to add one more comparison between the Nikon Monarch and the Alpen Apex: the eye cups. The Nikon eyecups rotate out with a few detents from all-the-way-down to all-the-way-up. The Alpens are all-or-nothing down or up. In this aspect, I find the Nikons to be superior. Both the Nikons and the Alpens have a lot of eye-relief...too much depending on the light and the way the binocs are held to the glasses. The Nikon's first detent is at just a few millimeters out from all-the-way-down and might be just the ticket for some people's eye relief needs. As it is, I sometimes rotate the Alpen's eyecups out just a little and they stay in place pretty well.

Last edited:
Nice review. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have yet to try the Alpens though I have heard only favorable things about them so far.

Pretty good. Over time, the eye cups can become a major issue. I have tried the Monarchs, and they seemed OK. At least better than the old Sporters. I tried with the eye cups all the way in. And all the way out.

What sort of warranty did you get, then?

Tero said:
Pretty good. Over time, the eye cups can become a major issue. I have tried the Monarchs, and they seemed OK. At least better than the old Sporters. I tried with the eye cups all the way in. And all the way out.

What sort of warranty did you get, then?

Your welcome, Frank.

And Tero, here is the Alpen warranty:

"LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Congratulations on purchasing your new ALPEN® product. This product is warranted to be free of all manufacturing defects in workmanship and material for the length of time specified in this warranty, provided that the product has not been abused, disassembled or tampered with in any way. This warranty applies only to products purchased in the United States and is valid only to the original purchaser. This warranty is not transferable.

In the event of a defect under this warranty ALPEN® will at our sole discretion repair or replace the returned product, provided that the original purchaser returns the product postage prepaid to ALPEN OUTDOOR CORPORATION, 10329 Dorset Street, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730. A money order or check in the amount of $10.00 to cover the cost of inspection and handling must also be included. Please be sure to include your name and mailing address along with a brief explanation of the defect found. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. If you require non-warranty repairs these will be provided at a reasonable cost."

Pretty much the standard warranty before some firms started offering no-fault warranties.

As far as the eyecups go: all-the-way-out, they lock in place nicely. But I only need to use them with the eyecups all the way down -- being an eyeglasses wearer. The more I use these binocs the better I am at looking through the eyepieces without the kidney-beaning. But I have considered getting a rubber gasket to put under the cups that will give the eyepieces a couple mm's less eyerelief.

Well, I returned my Alpen Apex 8x42s and got my money back. Sportman's Warehouse has a 30-day return policy. All they say is that what you return should be resaleable. I took the Alpen on a couple birding trips and was careful with them, and I packed them back neatly in their box and everything, and the optics salesman examined them and prounced them returnable. So thats cool.

Here's why I returned them:

Their IPD just wasn't good enough for me. Barely adequate. And with focusing closer than 10 ft. definitely not enough. Too much double imaging close up, but most binocs do that for me. At any rate, if I am going to soend $300 US on binocs, I want to be completely satisfied.

I still stand by everything else I said about the Alpens. They are really really bright and contrasty, very sharp in the center field, good in the middle field, and not horrible in the outermost edges. While I was there at the store, I tried a few other binoculars and I thought the Alpens were better than them too. I tried the Leupold Wind River 8x32. The Alpens had a much better image, even disregarding the exit pupil difference. I tried Zeiss Conquest 10x30. The Conquest obviously wasn't going to be brighter, but I was surprised how bright it was for its size and power. The central field was very good (I was observing a resolation chart about 100 ft away) and of course a bigger image, but the image rapidly degraded outside of say 50% of the field. I didn't like the focus feel either. I think the Alpens were better than the Conquests in almost all aspects (except the better IPD on the Conquests) Also the Conquest had really good eye relief for a ten power in its price range. And then I went back and looked at the Nikon Monarchs. The Monarchs still were not as good as the Alpens, but they were still very good. I actually would have chosen the Monarchs over the Leupold Wind Rivers and the Zeiss Conquests if I was forced to purchase one right there. Sorry Zeiss and Zeiss lovers.

I would still like to see the Swift Ultralite roofs, despite their ugly armoring. And I would like to see the Swift HHS. Actually, the Swift Eaglet 7x36 is another option. Swift's website says that the Eaglet is phase coated. When BVD reviewed them a few years ago, the Eaglets weren't phase coated.

Or I may just get my B&L Custom 7x26 collimated, see how those work (which was just fine before they went out of alignment) and save up for a good scope.

Last edited:
I got the Alpen ones Just because the price was right, and they were not heavy for me. The other brands I tried were too heavy. The Alpen ones are perfect! I would definatly buy the Alpen ones again!

Abbygirl said:
I got the Alpen ones Just because the price was right, and they were not heavy for me. The other brands I tried were too heavy. The Alpen ones are perfect! I would definatly buy the Alpen ones again!

Well, I hope you don't have to buy them again! I hope they serve you well for a long time to come!

BTW, you were great in Las Vegas back in the 70s. Oops...that was Joey Heatherton. ;)

Happy birding!

-- Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back