• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Shrikes mark two is a step or two uppards - the addition of the strong blues and more variety in the oasis brings even more joy to the scene. Once again I think the overall message is one of triumph, stoicism and survival - let's just hope so, eh?
Drawings are, of course, superb.
This lilbittern is starting to become a bit of a motif - I can see that theme working nicely. Purps are blisteringly hot and the lone watercolour study is terrific. Or would be, were it not painted on 5gsm tracing paper!!!!!! Have you used that 200 ream prize of watercolour paper from St Cuddy's already????

welcome back- love the flying L Bittern- looking just like it has been booted towards the reeds by an invisible foot off screen right

What a tremendous bunch of sketches and paintings! Grebes, Bittern, Water Chicks, and Herons stand out to me amidst the sketches and it's nice to see the Bittern and Herons so quickly go from sketch to painting. As usual I feel like I'm there, sharing in the excitement.

Are you sure you didn't do that LiteBite female near me?

http://www.somersetbirder.co.uk/july10.htm

This is marvellous stuff Nick! The Neon colours I am loving. Painted collage without collage. Iconoclasty is occuring here. Much startling stuff.
Nice to return to the "RBS Development Project!" You have used the "loss of habitat, but still clinging on theme" I saw in my head. Something special is occuring here. I wait. Because I see genius outing itself in time....again!

There are eggs to be hatched here!

Love it all, of course!

Last edited:
The early bird catches the worm, the early birder can't read roadsigns to follow a diversion and arrives at his destination at the same time he would had he stayed in bed for an extra hour's sleep. Walking round ancient forest in the Jura mountains helps in waking you up, Coal Tits calling from most of the trees, a few groups of Crossbills jipping* overhead, a Fox (that I can't draw) is surprised to see a birder in his path and stares at me intently till I look away and he feels safe enough to continue. The drawing of him is not very successful however, Seb reckons I should stick with birds (it's a very French thing to only do what you can do already, perseverance is not a word I've ever heard here) As the sun gets higher butterflies get active with plenty of Cabbage Whites and Arran Browns in the bright clearings. One of the latter comes and lands on my leg, allowing me to get a photo so I can identify it! I definitely need some new shoes! Hallucinating with sleep, there are Capercaillies made of pine cones and branches that turn into Hazel Grouse, the biggest shock was one of the Hazel Grouse shaped pieces of wood was actually a female Hazel Grouse, caught in a patch of sunlight she didn't dare move, I managed to sketch her for a good ten minutes, before she gently walked away, a few steps each time I bent down to put paint on the paper. This was exactly the same spot I saw one fly over the path last year.

*if I remember correctly this is Cumbrian slang for vomiting.

Attachments

• pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 093.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 093.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 094.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 094.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 095.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 095.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 54
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 106.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 106.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 50
  • arran brown.jpg
    arran brown.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 44
So, already thrilled at finally being able to sketch the Scruffy Forest Chicken, I left the forest and headed back through France's coldest village (Mouthe) and towards the large lake of Saint Point - Saint Point is the most ridiculous name of any Saint, and I don't know what miracle he performed to have a big French lake named after him, but he does. The best thing about the lake is that at one end there is a car park where Marsh Warblers sing out in the open and usually you can see that they look subtley different to Reed Warblers, but you can definitely hear the difference! I didn't manage any sketches but here is a picture of me next to the bush.

Some sketches of a Great White Egret, a Honey Buzzard, Heron, Greenshank and Yellow-legged Gull, can't say where though, got to be rather secretive now!.........

Attachments

• listening to marsh warbler.jpg
    listening to marsh warbler.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 55
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 096.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 096.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 37
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 105.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 105.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 42
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 107.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 107.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 51
Pomarine Buzzards

Franche-Comté is lucky enough to host a pair of Lesser Spotted Eagles, after being lucky enough to have guessed where they were last year, I went back for more, burning up in the heat I was suffering quite badly and not seeing many birds, I'm short-sighted and have floaters in my eyes, so picking up flying raptors is not the easiest thing in the world. How lucky to be randomly found by the guy who had found the Eagles originally, who showed me the male hunting on the other side of the bush I was using for shade!!! Seeing him perched up I was surprised by how weedy he looked, just like a black kite with a short rear end, only when seen head on did he have that Eagle look about him. It's the first time I've ever attempted sketching a perched Eagle, I've really over-emphasised the bill, and I have an issue with balance in most of the sketches (try as I might, drawing buzzards with Eagle heads didn't work). After, I was shown the nest, just visible in a distant tree in a forest, the female and a nearly ready to fledge chick. A very exciting day indeed for me!

Attachments

• pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 097.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 097.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 37
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 098.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 098.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 36
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 099.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 099.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 32
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 100.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 100.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 32
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 103.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 103.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 44
A splash of paint made it easier to get the forms of the Aigle pomarin, just need to do a painting now that does him justice.

Attachments

• pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 102.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 102.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 39
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 101.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 101.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 43
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 108.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 108.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 44
  • pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 109.JPG
    pomarine buzzards and scruffy forest chicken 109.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 38
A splash of paint made it easier to get the forms of the Aigle pomarin, just need to do a painting now that does him justice.

pic #3 is a beauty- the splash of yellow on the feet really helps get the overall balance: a sense of there being something important down there

A very exciting day indeed for me!

AND for everyone viewing this. What a full, productive day. Are you sure it's only one day? Many exciting drawings and paintings here, starting way, way back with the grouse.

I do wonder about your new Poultry Predilection though, first Water Chickens, now Scruffy Forest Chicken;);)

Always a pleasure to see your stuff Nick...[those minimal eagle pix are very powerful]...excellent...:t:

ps....hazelhens are well wacky things...only seen the species once....incredible 'calls'...[if you can hear them]....! Stunners....

Just look at that hazelhen - effing wonderful drawings and a splash of life-giving colour. The overhead eagles (or should that be black kites? ;) ) are delectable, but the ijection of colour really pays divis in pic 4 - angles, lights and shades, colour; maximm attitude with a minimalistic approach. Class.

How I enjoyed reading and seeing this!

Some familiar Polish birds here! User is right about the Hazelhen call! Why should a tiny forest grouse make such a high pitched sound? Lucky for you to get the sketch opportunity! Great result!

LSE I have frequently seen in Polska. But I only ever saw 1 perched. On a telephone pole. And your great renderings reminded me of that day in Braniewo. The result below...

Have a productive time in Jura Mountains! B :)

Attachments

• LSE.JPG
    LSE.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 55
whew that hh looks big on that pole.....Nick I wish you never had to have job again other than doing your art....what an outporing river of great sketching. I esp love #4 of the eagle ....but also the gulls, which I just tried drawing without success...isn't it odd how when you have a new bird in front of you it's sort of like starting over?

Rum and Coke, Mr Freddie Mercury, Big Brushes, a Hairdryer and Proper Paper (and a cheeky little bit of acrylic for the beak!) - Lesser Spotted eagle - the closest thing to a straight watercolour that's come out of the studio for a while.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 74
oooh, I see something that needs washing off for starters - the impact of a large painting really blinds you as to what looks right!

Not really sure that it makes any difference, must stop fiddling, just don't want the edge of the beak to be enclosed as when I was sketching the bird, there was so much exaggeration on the beak, I want the eye to be allowed to do the same.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
beautiful range of values in this Nick. It might be a bit static in comp, but is rescued from that by the amazingly beautiful eye and head...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back