• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (2 Viewers)

Similar numbers of shelduck and goldeneye when I went over this weekend. Wandered across shortly before sunset and was a fair bit of kingfisher noise before seeing one scudding about - all on the main lake.

Oh and why do they even bother with dog lead zones. The few who actually bother to have some responsibility will be careful anyway, the rest couldn't give a toss whether there are signs or not.

I know what you mean about the dog-emptiers! For every responsible walker there are half a dozen irresponsible ones, I've been there several times now and seen the owners allowing the dogs to jump in the lake without any attempt to call them back. I have been to many reserves across the UK and the ones that ban dogs entirely have a totally different feel about them.

Bright and sunny this morning with almost clear blue skies. Still a bit chilly though in the light winds.

Lots of birds singing this morning with Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Yellowhammer, Treesparrow, Dunnock, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch all heard between the car park and the lake. Even a pair of LTT were calling by the visitor centre.

The lake was pretty quiet starting off but it wasn't long before a whole load of birds descended including Tufted Duck x14, Gadwall x16, Shelduck x4 and Canada Goose x2 in addition to the two already present. Another pair of Mute Swan tried to muscle in but were seen off by the male of the resident pair.

The Little Grebes were calling a lot today but I didn't see or hear any Water Rails until a Magpie flushed one from the waters edge below the twin benches.

Both Kingfishers were present today. It looks like they're definitely nesting as after one came out the hole the other one went straight in and stayed put. The first one flew to opposite the single bench to preeen before heading off towards Cow Bridge Beck.

My first Common Whitethroat of the year singing frm the brambles by the single bench was shortly followed by my first Reed Warbler with a bit of a spluttering call from the reed edge below. Blackcaps, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff were all calling nearby.

It was pretty much the same in Faith Wood with lots of birds singing.

Still no Sparrowhawks around. The only bird of prey seen was a Kestrel.

Quite a few Butterflies around as well today - all Small Tortoiseshell.

Attachments

• IMG_0966a.jpg
    IMG_0966a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1023ao.jpg
    IMG_1023ao.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1055ao.jpg
    IMG_1055ao.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1117ao.jpg
    IMG_1117ao.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1136bo.jpg
    IMG_1136bo.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 65
Lots of birds singing again this morning much the same as last visit but with the addition of a Grasshopper Warbler today by the boardwalk in Faith Wood. There was on in the same spot last year as well. A Common Whitethroat was calling in the same area.

It was good to see the Sparrowhawks around again as well with two taking off from the trees by the lake. Four Shelduck dropped in for a while but didn't hang around. The Water Rails were calling again today as well.

Attachments

• DSCF1025a.jpg
    DSCF1025a.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF1060aa.jpg
    DSCF1060aa.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF1074a.jpg
    DSCF1074a.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2129a.jpg
    IMG_2129a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2163a.jpg
    IMG_2163a.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 52
The early morning cloud soon cleared to a lovely sunny day. Even the cold wind slackened off making it one of the warmest days of the year so far.

Lots of Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Wren and Blackcap singing today, probably well over 20 of each around the park.

As I headed over to the lake Whimbrel x3 passed overhead going west as did a pair of Oystercatchers and Shelduck x4 passed over heading east.

The lake was pretty quiet though a few more Tufted Duck than on my last visit with around 24 present today.

No Water Rails and no Kingfisher again today.

The Blackcap by the hide was showing on and off as were 3-4 Long-tailed Tit, several Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, Blue Tit and Chaffinch all within the same small area.

Heading over to Faith Wood I came cross only one Whitethroat though another two later in the morning.

The Grasshopper Warbler there was showing exceptionally well. I sat on the edge of the boardwalk and watched it doing it's rounds singing from various perches and coming down to 3m to sing right in front of me from the reed tops.

In the same area were several Robin, Chiciffchaff, Willow Warbler, Goldfinch , Wren and Robin all singing plus a pair of Bullfinch sat feeding on new shoots.

I then headed over to Claxton Beck and followed it downstream and behind the hill and then up over the top and back down to the hide not seeing a great deal else.

Another Grasshopper Warbler was reeling about half way back to the car park and then a Lesser Whitethroat singing in the trees by the gate.

I went straight through the car park and over to road to check the area by the stream for Grasshopper Warbler. Sure enough ther was another one there plus Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat x2.

All in all it was a pretty good visit.

Attachments

• IMG_5387a.jpg
    IMG_5387a.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5389ao.jpg
    IMG_5389ao.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5400ao.jpg
    IMG_5400ao.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6064ao.jpg
    IMG_6064ao.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6069ao.jpg
    IMG_6069ao.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 68
A few more Grasshopper Warbler photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6134ao.jpg
    IMG_6134ao.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6224ao.jpg
    IMG_6224ao.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6260ao.jpg
    IMG_6260ao.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6288ao.jpg
    IMG_6288ao.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5752ao.jpg
    IMG_5752ao.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 64
Hi Ian

Just a visit to this thread to say your pictures are stunning to look at. The Grasshopper Warbler is a beauty.

Your report is a good read, and I enjoyed sharing your experiences of your patch. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

A lovely summery feel to the day this morning. Hazy sunshine and warm with it for a change as there was no cold wind today.

A bit of a mammal spectacle starting off. As I followed the track over the hill to the lake I spotted Roe Deer by the pylons. Typically it spotted me as well and galloped off. It's the first one I've seen in the open here this year. It ran off towards the visitor centre.

A few more migrants seem to have arrived over night as there were several Whitethroat calling from the bushes by the lake as well as several Goldfinch, Reed Bunting and a Yellowhammer. There were 5-6 rabbits in the bushes below. Skylark and Meadow Pipits were by the railway.

The Canada Geese chicks must have hatched either yesterday afternoon or overnight as she was still sitting on the nest at lunchtime. This morning there were five fluffy goslings on the track with the adults guiding them over the railway lines! Luckily no trains were coming. A shame to see them go but perhaps the best bet as at least the Mute Swan cob won't kill them.

Still quite a few Tufted Duck on the lake and a couple obviously paired up now though still mostly males present. Hopefully a few more still around to breed this year. Other than that there were just a few Gadwall and a single Pochard apart from the usual Mallards, Coots and Moorhen. The Water Rails were quite active today calling regularly and even giving brief glimpses amongst the reeds.

By the single bench near the hide the LTT pair were quite active gathering food. A Reed Warbler was once again singing just in front of the bench with both Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler in the trees behind. A Sedge Warbler - first of the year here was singing from the reeds to the right of the hide.

Whilst trying to spot the LTT's a Weasel came scooting down the path pausing every few metres and rising up on it's rear legs like a meerkat to peer into the brambles. It kept coming towards me but I made the mistake of stepping sideways for a better view at which it saw me and disappeared into the long grass.

The trees by the hide were full of birds with Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Whitethroat and Wren but the most notable were the Blackcaps with four males and a female chasing each other around and best of all 1-2 Garden Warbler making a right racket. Very frustrating trying to see them though as they flitted around in the hawthorn bushes.

Lots of birds singing as I headed right to Claxton Beck where from the bridge I heard another Sedge Warbler calling from the raspberry patch. Despite being little moe than bare canes still I couldn't see it until it moved into the blackthorn bushes. Another was perched in a hawthorn bush further up the beck. It was spending as much time feeding as it was calling.

Very little to see today in Faith Wood other than Goldfinch, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff. The Grasshooper Warbler was present but barely showing itself or even singing. Whitethroats were in the bushes by the beck.

As I headed back towards the lake a Kestrel was hunting overhead and a Sparrowhawk flew over clutching prey as it headed towards the lake.

Nothing else new seen heading back to the car park.

A few more butterflies around today with several Speckled Wood, Orange Tip, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.

Attachments

• IMG_6896do.jpg
    IMG_6896do.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6936ao.jpg
    IMG_6936ao.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6970aoo.jpg
    IMG_6970aoo.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7031aoo.jpg
    IMG_7031aoo.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6959aoo.jpg
    IMG_6959aoo.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 107
Fairly bright with some sunshine starting off this morning. The sunshine improved for a while before it once again began to cloud over.

Plenty of birds singing as I made my way from the car park to the lake via the hedge by the visitor centre with Blackcap, Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Wren, Chaffinch and Whitethroat calling. A lot more Whitethroat around this visit.

The lake was pretty quiet. Gadwall x9 were almost as numerous as the Tufted Duck and Mallard. I was pleased to see the Kingfishers again. I'd not seen them for a couple of visits. It looks like nesting is still under way as they swapped over just as I arrived. A pair of Canada Geese dropped in for a while before being seen off by the Swans. Shelduck x2 passed over heading west. A couple of Sand Martins and Swallows made a brief visit as well.

Water Rail and Little Grebe were calling. Goldfinch, Linnet, Wilow Warbler, Chaffinch and Whitethroat were in the bushes alongside the railway.

The remaining bench from the twin benches has been relocated further back and tape strung along above the crumbling edge of the bank more of which seems to have fallen in the lake. It will be interesting to see what else is done to stop the erosion.

Walking round to the bench near the hide I came across two more Whitethroat, Chiffchaff x2, a Blackcap pair and a singing Sedge Warbler right by the bench. 5-6 LTT were flitting about the same area. Lots of birds again in the trees above and around the hide with Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Chaffinch, LTT, Willow Warbler, Blackbird, Blue Tit and Dunnock.

Whilst sat watching a Kingfisher preening and then two Sprrowhawks soaring I heard what sounded like the 'Hoo-poo-poo' of a Hoopoe from over towards Claxton Beck. I thought I was mistaken at first but as I made my way over to Faith Wood it called again and then again. I spent the next hour or so walking along Claxton Back and then along the cycleway pinpointing it's location in the field to the right of Cloff Bridge which contains a cereal crop. In frustration gave up tying to see it and had to be content with eharing the call.

A Sedge Warbler was back by the bridge by Calxton Beck/Cow Bridge Beck and another by the next bridge along over Cow Bridge Beck. No Grasshopper Warblers heard today.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood, Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

Attachments

• IMG_1352a.jpg
    IMG_1352a.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1449a.jpg
    IMG_1449a.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1583a.jpg
    IMG_1583a.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1279a.jpg
    IMG_1279a.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1308a.jpg
    IMG_1308a.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 75
A visit this evening. My first visit in over a week having been away to Scotland for the last week.

I'd have left it until tomorrow morning but the weather forecast didn't look so good so I popped over for a quick look around.

Despite the late visit (6.30pm) there were still lots of birds heard singing from the car park and following the track over to the lake with Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Robin, Wren and Chaffinch.

The lake looked pretty quiet for birds. The Mute Swan pair are still nesting trying to hatch their eggs despite failing to do so for the alst 3-4 years. Tufted Duck c.12 were on the lake with Gadwall x4, Coot, Moorhen and Little Grebe x3. The Water Rail have obviously had chicks with a quite a racket coming from the reeds on the north side.

I bumped into Francis who said he'd seen the Kingfishers fledge last night and this morning. He'd watched the adults tempt out the youngsters with bullheads though he couldn't be certain how many had come out the nest. Whilst I was there an adult landed by the nest hole.

Francis said he'd watched a pair of Sand Martins excavating a nest hole which would fit as I've seen several over the lake. He also pointed out a new Sparrowhawk nest. It looks as if they've moved from the more secure location where they were for some reason. They're high in a tree but right by one of the main paths.

Time was getting on by the time I left Francis so I just headed back to the car park.

A better morning than expected - overcast but reasonably bright and remaining fine - so I made my usual visit after all.

Not a great deal different from yesterday though a few more Tufted Duck on the lake and several Shelduck made fly-overs as did Oystercatcher x2 and Curlew x2.

Twice a Kingfisher landed on a bankside perch but I only had distant views there though some close ones later as one flew behind where I was sat heading over to Claxton Beck and one flew past whilst I was stood on Cloff Bridge.

The Water Rails were calling again and two Reed Warbler were singing from the reeds sometimes perching on top of the reeds to sing.

I headed over to the cycleway along Claxton Beck seeing at least half a dozen Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat and a Grey Wagtail. I crossed Cloff Bridge following the cycleway north for around 400m to check the hedges for Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow. There were quite a few around as well as several Whitethroat all feeding young. Several Swift and Swallow were over the horse fields.

A single rather bedraggled Wheatear was on the manure heaps.

I then retraced my route back to the lake seeing nothing new and had a look in on the Sparrowhawks where the female was still sitting.

Attachments

• IMG_5753a.jpg
    IMG_5753a.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6058a.jpg
    IMG_6058a.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6112bo.jpg
    IMG_6112bo.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6263aoo.jpg
    IMG_6263aoo.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6370ao.jpg
    IMG_6370ao.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 47
I must have really missed the place last week as I was back again this morning. A lovely sunny start to the day though with a chill wind first thing. Surprisingly despite the sun there were less birds singing today.

Highlights were Kingfisher x2, Lesser Whitethroat x2 - pair nesting near hide, Common Whitethroat 10+, Sparrowhawk x2, Kestrel, Garden Warbler x3 in Faith Wood, Sedge Warbler 8-10, Reed Warbler x2, Water Rail family on lake, Sand Martin x5, House Martin x3, Swift x5, Swallow, Shelduck x2. Blackcap. Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff all still singing. Grey Wagtail x1. Pied Wagtail x2. Bullfinch x2. Wheatear x1.

Attachments

• IMG_6496ao.jpg
    IMG_6496ao.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6549ao.jpg
    IMG_6549ao.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6583ao.jpg
    IMG_6583ao.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6596ao.jpg
    IMG_6596ao.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6671a.jpg
    IMG_6671a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 49
Surprising quiet when I went down today (no dog emptiers, barely any kids, hardly any photographers bar a few old folk guarding the small ponds) except for the kingfishers. Lots of activity with them darting about, usually on the other side of the lake mind. Took plenty of distant shots, mostly they sat on the branch next to the chalk bank just past all the red and white tape.

When I'm being a bit less clumsy I'll have to defy the near instant death that awaits me and sneak under the flapping plastic of terror and take some photos closer to that perch (I stuffed up the close shot today).

Anyway here's the one decent photo I took - it's a tad soft. Not sure whether that's because 1/2000 wasn't quick enough at that angle or if it was just because the photo is slightly out of focus. I've sharpened it through Picasa, haven't much time to do owt else.

Attachments

• IMG_8653.JPG
    IMG_8653.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 87
Surprising quiet when I went down today (no dog emptiers, barely any kids, hardly any photographers bar a few old folk guarding the small ponds) except for the kingfishers. Lots of activity with them darting about, usually on the other side of the lake mind. Took plenty of distant shots, mostly they sat on the branch next to the chalk bank just past all the red and white tape.

When I'm being a bit less clumsy I'll have to defy the near instant death that awaits me and sneak under the flapping plastic of terror and take some photos closer to that perch (I stuffed up the close shot today).

Anyway here's the one decent photo I took - it's a tad soft. Not sure whether that's because 1/2000 wasn't quick enough at that angle or if it was just because the photo is slightly out of focus. I've sharpened it through Picasa, haven't much time to do owt else.

I was over there this morning. There were a good few more birds around then.

Just be aware the Kingfishers are still nesting - reports or 5-7 young are way over top - in fact I've not seen any young and as can be seen in your photo they're still taking food to the nest.

They're a Schedule 1 species so photography or disturbance at the nest isn't permitted - hence the tape!

At lunchtime they took in six fish within 20 minutes then settled down again.

Yes I'm not one to go and disturb wildlife to take a photo, seems a bit daft way to go about things with the tape. Also there was a car parked there most of the time. All a bit strange.

I didn't see any young myself either.

Yes I'm not one to go and disturb wildlife to take a photo, seems a bit daft way to go about things with the tape. Also there was a car parked there most of the time. All a bit strange.

I didn't see any young myself either.

I agree about the tape - it's a bit of a half-hearted effort. In parts pricky scrub has been placed as a barrier but not where it was really needed. Part of the idea with the tape is also to give the grass and wild fowers chance to recover. That area used to be very good for orchids a few years ago but it's been so well trampled that they've not been seen the last year or two.

If it was a private car then any disabled driver with a Radar key can drive over to the lake though I've only ever seen that happen on two occasions. Usually it's the water board people or power people making checks.

A bright warm sunny morning for a visit.

I was mostly interested in looking for dragonflies after coming across several Four-spot Chaser at the scrapes yesterday and brief views of a Broad-bodied Chaser so I headed straight over to the scrapes.

Sure enough there were even more dragonflies around today - Four-spot Chaser c.12, Broad-bodied Chaser x2 seen mating and ovipositing as were several F-S Chasers. Lots of damselflies as well.

Whilst stood at the scrapes Sedge Warblers and a Reed Warbler were calling from alongside Cow Bridge Beck plus Whitethroat, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Chaffinch and a Wren. Water Rail and Moorhen were in the reeds by the scrapes and what I think must be a Long-eared Owl occasionally called quietening young which called when someones dog went running through the bushes.

In the bushes near the bench by the hide a Lesser Whitethroat was calling and another when I went for a walk through Faith Wood. Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff were calling by that bench and Reed Warbler in front. Two Garden Warbler were collecting bugs in Faith Wood as well as Long-tailed Tit x5.

As mentioned there was quiet a lot of Kingfisher activity today. Mostly it was pretty quiet but towards lunchtime there was a lot of frenzied activity with both adults taking fish into the nest - six visits in all before one remained inside the nest and the other perched outside again.

Sand Martin, House Martin, Swift and Swallow were feeding over the lake - more of less three of each apart from a few more Sand Martin. A pair of Shelduck made several visits but never settled for long for some reason. Little Grebe x2 and Gadwall x6 seen.

Yellowhammer were calling from the fence alongside the railway.

The Sparrowhawk pair were about as well with the female still nesting and the male taking in food every now and again.

Two Kestrel were along Claxton Beck with one sat on a pylon but I didn't see any sign of nesting activity.

Heading back to the lake I came across two fledgling Mistle Thrush feeding in the bushes and a female Blackcap collecting flies and grubs.

Attachments

• IMG_1709a.jpg
    IMG_1709a.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1924a.jpg
    IMG_1924a.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2310a.jpg
    IMG_2310a.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2250a.jpg
    IMG_2250a.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1844a.jpg
    IMG_1844a.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back