• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hearing aids (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
Does anybody use a hearing aid just for birding?

My hearing is not what it was (what is after nearly 60 years?) and I really can't hear the high pitched stuff, funnily enough my wife can't hear the lower tones, so a bit like Jack Spratt it all comes good in the end, but I've wondered if one of these little hearing aid jobbies that I regularly see advertised in the Sunday papers would be a worthwhile investment just for birding.

They're only about £20 top whack so it won't be too painful to find out.

My hearing is not particularly bad, I just need a couple more notches on the telly volume than I used to and like I said before the higher pitched bird sounds escape me. So, would a hearing aid help?

Depends. Go get a hearing test and see what your range is. Most people can hear up to about 16 kHz, but many bird calls go well beyond 20kHz. You're not going to miss much if you can still hear up to 10kHz, as you'll still hear parts of the calls.

funny you should mention that.. went to a particularly loud gig last night. was watching a goldcrest earlier; it opened it's bill, heard nothing. darn threshold shift.

apologies, i know nothing about hearing aids, but like KN said, it's worth getting a test done.

worth remembering that high frequency sounds travel further than low frequency sounds too. So over distance, low pitch elements of a call can be lost, just leaving the high bits that you might not be able to hear. the answer, I suppose, is to get closer so that you can hear the low frequency elements. Few birds have all of their call up in the higher reaches, but it means you're less likely to pick up birds calling high overhead.

but it means you're less likely to pick up birds calling high overhead.
I certainly miss some of those on occasions. It can be very frustrating.

Go get a hearing test
I never thought of that, (no, really I didn't). |:$|

I try and stay away from medical practitioners of all descriptions, but I noticed a place on the way to work this morning that offered hearing tests so I may have to make the effort.

Had a hearing test today, the high frequency sounds above 20Khz (or is it 2000?) are the problem, but not by much apparently.

They would like to relieve me of over £1k (for one ear) to put it right. :eek!:

Hi John,

My hearing has been deteriorating for some years now - it's hereditary, my mother's side of the family all suffered too. I've used a hearing aid (a national health one - can't comment on the digital jobbies) but find that it amplifies all sound, so the frequencies that I have trouble with are still drowned out. My biggest frustration is when someone in a hide or seawatching for example, calls a bird and I don't know about it till it's too late! I have learned to accept that I'll never be able to ID some of the fly-overs I see.

Good birding

Ken.

Thanks for your input Ken, it all helps, I'm a bit surprised there haven't been more responses considering how common it is for hearing to deteriorate with age.

Hi John,

I've used a hearing aid (a national health one - can't comment on the digital jobbies) but find that it amplifies all sound, so the frequencies that I have trouble with are still drowned out.
Ken.

The digital aids are programmed to only boost the sounds you need help with, and can be re-programmed as necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back