• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 in Low light? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am looking to get a Nikon fieldscope, and am comparing the Nikon ED50 with the 13-30 zoom lens, to a Fieldscope III with the 20-60 eyepiece.

I will be observing birds and wildlife sometimes early morning and late and so
brightness is important. It seems both of these are compact enough for my
needs, but would like some help here.

Last edited:
Lot's of threads here on this. Really no substitute for aperture for low light situations. The ED50 is in a complete different league in terms of size/weight compared to the EDIII. Great scope but it doesn't work miracles in low light.

The EDIII is a bit overweight/overpriced for what it delivers. Given their comparable prices, the Nikon ED82 with the 25x-75x zoom is a better "value" and will give you optimum low-light performance.

But if size/weight is a bigger concern, the Kowa 663 Prominar is nearly the same size/weight as the EDIII despite the larger aperture and a better value as is the Pentax 65EDII. I've had/have them all so am confident in my advise.

cheers,
Rick

As you might have seen from further down, I changed my ED50 to an ED111.

I am pleased with my decision, and whilst I don't really observe in low light as such, I am often out in "grotty" light, and am well pleased with the ED111. I have the Zoom and the 30x and glad I have both, but after a month I would now only choose the 30x if I could have just one for general viewing. Having said the Zoom at 20x has a brighter light index and so might be better at low light in that respect for you.

But like astronomy, aperture rules, if you can carry it in low light?

I bought the Ed50 with the 27x eyepiece, I was very happy with it during summer but on overcast fall days I really did not enjoy the view, too dim. I bought the 20x eyepiece and use it all the time, significantly brighter (and wider f o v). I also have the 13-40x zoom which I use sometimes (quite seldom).

If you buy the ed50 you have to be aware of that you have to sacrifice either brightness or power, compared to a bigger scope. However, I compared the 20x and the 27x and I colld not detect much more detail in the 27x, mainly due to the more stable view of the 20x when you use a small tripod (I use Velbon Ultra Maxi).

As I said, I'm very happy with my combo (I used to own a big Leica Apo televid and I'm never going back).

Last edited:
Yep Wolf, your experience is similar to my own. The 27x wide is fine during bright summer hours. In most anything but bright daylight I prefer either the 16x or 20x. Lately I've had the 20x wide on quite a bit and think it's a great match for the little ED50.

ND, If I were using a scope a lot during dawn and dusk, or in shadows frequently, I'd go with a larger scope. The 65(6)mm scopes Rick mentions are considerably smaller than an 80ish mm scope and will have more horsepower than the ED50. I haven't used the Kowa 66x scopes but have used several Pentax 65s. With an XW14 EP on them, they're pretty awesome performers, IF 28x is adequate for your needs. Some like the XF zoom that is often bundled with them, I don't think much of it myself.

A Kowa 603 ED (60mm ~700 grams) might be a solution. Havent tried it though.

That one is interesting alright. I looked hard at these before buying an ED50 as it is the lightest 60mm going. Here's the issue, for me... Kowa has a 20xw, a 25x LER, and a 30xw for this scope. I like wide EPs and don't need the long eye relief, so that leaves the 20x and 30x. The 30x is probably not the best for the usage ND describes as it probably doesn't have the aperture to pull it off well. Now we're down to the 20x. Nikon has an even wider 20x (72 v 66 degree) AFOV EP for it's ED50.

For the 2" greater length, 60% weight increase, somewhat greater cost, 1/2mm greater exit pupil, and 10mm of aperture, is the Kowa 603 that great an improvement over the ED50?

In the abstract, I'd say no. But where the rubber meets the road, it might be.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back