• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long until young blackbirds are fully-fledged? (1 Viewer)

TianasBoy

Hello All ~

Two blackbird chicks left their nest amongst the ivy in my garden on Saturday. At the moment the youngsters are 'scrambling' about amongst the bushes ... such a terribly vulnerable stage.

I'm retired, so I'm at home for most of the time and able to stay on the alert for predators ... and I'm chaperoning the dogs whenever they venture outdoors ... but I'll be be SO relieved when the youngsters are able to fly with some degree of proficiency! Please can anyone tell me approximately when this is likely to be?

Bestest,
Paula.

Hi

Welcome to Birdforum.

I think within the next week or so you should see a vast improvement in the little ones skills of flying and even remembering where the parents are without making the din. I love watching how they will sit in a safe position [where the parents have left them] until they retunr with food for them.

Thanks Marmot!

Mother Blackbird is busily building a second nest ... it's a busy time for her, hence a second Q: at what stage will the youngsters start to forage for themselves?

(Apologies if these Q seem very naive but I'm entirely new to bird-watching ... and my 'pocket guide to spotting birds' is brief on info!

Bestest,
Paula.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back