• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Beware, indeed. I bought a dumb adapter for mounting Minolta MD lenses. I have described the experience here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1058&thread=41671824

I can possibly live with no metering, but it is impossible to focus manually without viewfinder magnification.

Allan,
I have the same problem with the "dumb" adapter I bought in Shanghai for the Leica M lenses to the V1. No MF viewfinder enhancement makes it almost impossible to use.
I'll have to find a Nikon to Leica M adapter to fit to the FT1, if there is such a thing.
Neil

I headed out early yesterday with the V1 on the Kowa scope and was lucky to come across a pond draindown at the wetlands and I was the first one there (6.15 am). I shot a lot of images and a short video https://vimeo.com/46083950
As I've mentioned before I like the one click from stills to video mode on the V1 with separate settings. I do have to switch to jpeg only though as Raw processing takes too long after a lot of stills, although you can keep shooting stills.
I was mostly shooting around iso 800.
Neil

Nikon V1 and 30 - 110 zoom lens and Kowa Lens/scope and Kowa VA3 (video adapter)
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
July 2012

Attachments

• great egret feed V1 VA3 _DSC9307.jpg
    great egret feed V1 VA3 _DSC9307.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 400
  • egrets wire V1 va3 _DSC9424.jpg
    egrets wire V1 va3 _DSC9424.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 609
  • bc night heron egrets feed V1 VA3 _DSC9461.jpg
    bc night heron egrets feed V1 VA3 _DSC9461.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 357
  • great egret feed V1 VA3 _DSC9331.jpg
    great egret feed V1 VA3 _DSC9331.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 314
  • little egrets feed V1 VA3 _DSC9404.jpg
    little egrets feed V1 VA3 _DSC9404.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Digiscoping with the V1

Hi there,

My first post on this forum. I'm a bit confused with the mechanics of using the Nikon V1 with my present digiscoping set up. I have a Nikon ED 78A scope and the eyepiece is Nikon's x30 wide angle MC (I use the Nikon P6000 with a SRB Griturn sleeve). I have contacted SRb Griturn and they say all I need to be up and running with the V1 is their DSLR T2 Mount adapter (with eyepiece sleeve) to connect the camera to the scope. They also said that I don't need a camera lens fitted in the system. Does this seem right and is it worth me changing from the P6000 to the V1 - will I have to learn a whole new set of methods and techniques to be successful.

Any help will be kindly appreciated.

Jon T

You can use the V1 in several ways.
1. Use the original lens (10-30 or 30-110) with a ring adapter in front of your scope EP.
2. Use the SLR adapter of the scope, no EP, no lens. You have to use the FT1. You'll obtain about 2700mm (~1000mm of the SLR adapter x 2.7).
3. Use the V1 + FT1 + a 50mm/1.8 lens (or 35mm) in front of your EP with the appropriate rings and adapters.

You can use the V1 in several ways.
1. Use the original lens (10-30 or 30-110) with a ring adapter in front of your scope EP.
2. Use the SLR adapter of the scope, no EP, no lens. You have to use the FT1. You'll obtain about 2700mm (~1000mm of the SLR adapter x 2.7).
3. Use the V1 + FT1 + a 50mm/1.8 lens (or 35mm) in front of your EP with the appropriate rings and adapters.

Has anyone been able to source a t-adapter to 40.5mm in the US? I'd like to connect directly from my Celestron Ultima 80 20-60x eyepiece (which I understand is T42) to my 10-30 or 30-110 (40.5mm).

I have found a "40.5mm-T T2 mount(42mm Pitch 0.75) Step Up Ring Adapter" on a popular auction site as well as a 52mm to T-mount (for, say a Nikon 50mm 1.4) on a popular NYC camera store's site. The former is $9 and the latter $24.

That said, maybe I should be going for a home-built tube instead of a ring-based connector? I've got kids to feed so the DCA isn't an option. ;)

Has anyone tried a V1 with a Swaro TLS APO?

I believe Mike McDowell is now using that combination. Check this web page:
http://birddigiscoper.blogspot.com/2012/09/first-atx-images.html#.UGkiHVKNN8E

Also, a long long time ago on this thread (back in March), I announced I would get an Olympus OM-D instead of the Nikon V1. I did get the Olympus OM-D back at the end of April. My first efforts to disgiscope with the kit 14-42mm lens were not super encouraging, but I just got the TLS-APO and that is working much better. I just posted a big report about it in the "Digiscoping Adapters" forum. I'm not getting the greatest results yet but that is probably at least in part due to my lack of skill.

--Dave

Here is a system diagram, outlining the usage of the new adapters. The DSA-N1 allows attachment of the camera body to the EDG Fieldscope eyepiece without using a camera lens. It fools the camera into thinking a lens is attached, enabling all camera operations which would otherwise be blocked.

I'm not about to buy an EDG Fieldscope. Do you think the DSA-N1 might work with other scopes and eyepieces? If so, would there be any advantage in eliminating the camera lens?

Screenshot2012-11-26at62227PM.png

Last edited:
Here is a system diagram, outlining the usage of the new adapters. The DSA-N1 allows attachment of the camera body to the EDG Fieldscope eyepiece without using a camera lens. It fools the camera into thinking a lens is attached, enabling all camera operations which would otherwise be blocked.

I'm not about to buy an EDG Fieldscope. Do you think the DSA-N1 might work with other scopes and eyepieces? If so, would there be any advantage in eliminating the camera lens?

I hope someone could try it out.
I'm using Swarovski adapters (UCA,DCA) on the Kowa eyepieces and Kowa eyepieces on Swarovski scopes. You never know your luck.
Neil.

Neil, I have a third-party adapter that converts the Kowa 88x/77x series eyepieces into the Nikon DS standard. The DSA-N1 should work with it. So the Kowa 30x Wide eyepiece ought to give us ~1500mm at F6 on the 88mm scopes. If it could work with the 20-60x zoom too that would be awesome. Unfortunately not in the new camera mode now. Actually want to sell of some of my stuff!

Last edited:
Neil,

Do you think the V1 and 10-30mm lens would fit on the Vortex PS-100 adapter? I've tried this with the GH1 and it's too big. The V1 looks smaller and like it might fit on the PS-100. I think this way I could get the V1 closer to the 20-60X Vortex Razor HD zoom eyepiece and eliminate vignetting at a lower fl on the camera lens.

Neil,

Do you think the V1 and 10-30mm lens would fit on the Vortex PS-100 adapter? I've tried this with the GH1 and it's too big. The V1 looks smaller and like it might fit on the PS-100. I think this way I could get the V1 closer to the 20-60X Vortex Razor HD zoom eyepiece and eliminate vignetting at a lower fl on the camera lens.

I'm not at home for the next two weeks so I can't test this out but I suspect not. The newer 11-27.5 zoom is smaller so might work. I'll try and remember to try it when I'm back in HK.
Neil.

Thanks guys. I have the V1 now myself and it you're right, it won't fit. Tried to delete the post, but after so long I guess they remove this option. Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back