• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colleen's gone Coastal, Oregon USA (1 Viewer)

Today was the first really big storm of winter so of course I had to go out and there are other nutters out there too. 70MPH wind gusts rain and 16 foot waves made for a spectacular show I found a new spot up north about 10 miles called Boiler Bay, aptly named too, you can find o google earth Boiler Bay Or

I could barely stand up in the wind so no plein air :) but I'm going to figure out a way to paint in Prince ( what I named my SUV) The foam burst in the photo became about 30 feet high what you see is just the start of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful - the colours you introduce should not work, but you integrate them expertly and succinctly; everything harmonises perfectly. This road you're on is winding through some very fertile territory.

Absolutely beautiful - the colours you introduce should not work, but you integrate them expertly and succinctly; everything harmonises perfectly. This road you're on is winding through some very fertile territory.

Hadn't thought of it that way Tim
The old master painters used to say as long as the values are right color doesn't matter much maybe that is an explanation of sorts

Thanks ken
The ocean today was utterly shades of only white,foam drifted like snow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 56
nice to have the company Arthur,

Here is a work in progress, way over my head, hope to somehow pull it off. Its a try from Boiler Bay in high surf....struggleing with the comp and all the intricate wave action...let this dry and try one more layer to get it working. Pland on some gulls if I can to give scale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks gaby. I scraped out the center to try again

This is Boiler Bay with 13' surf and high tide. I tried to post a vid here but its not showing

Last edited:
Hi Colleen!

I have been away from BirdForum (and WetCanvas) for too long now, but some was for good reason. This past spring, we bought an Airstream travel trailer and starting September 23rd, I took it across the country and then back along the Gulf Coast and through the Southwest. Six weeks in total, and it was a great trip. I didn't realize you had gone the full-time RV route (at least full-timing for awhile). It does take some getting used to, but it becomes second nature quickly. I took all my painting gear and intended on doing a lot of landscapes and birds, but about two weeks of the trip was family visits, and with all the driving I decided to take the spare time to do birding. I figured I can always paint the areas I visited from references and memory, but that I might never get back to find birds. It was a good decision - I added 46 life birds to my list, a number that won't ever happen again unless I take an international birding trip.

Anyway, I have enjoyed seeing your work occasionally on WetCanvas and now here, and will be following more closely now that I have your blog link. I'm envious of your project!

I'll be posting some of my recent bird sketches in this forum again now that I'm back on it.

Best wishes for the rest of your trip! And...the Oregon coast is magnificent even in stormy weather, although as you noted, it's way different than California.

Hi John welcome back
Oskar and Jenny had to bin that last one

this has more possibilities for a larger work, has a bit more to go but close
6x8 oil, I may add a gull in flight like my favoirite seascape artist
William Trost Richards used. or I may leave it for a larger work as the birds here are only 1/2 inch in this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 49
forgot to add this is Moolack beach at twilight, my first encounter with this beach, started it plein air but really reworked it in my studio. Its getting colder here and I'm finding trying to keep the condensation down in the RV a real issue...it leads to mould if not controlled, so a dehumidifier is in order, and a small fan to keep the air moving...each day the RV a 19" travel trailer I call JJ, teaches me something new. Underground springs at my site have been channeled into a new pipe after I hand shoveled a small ditch behind JJ, it spilled over the street, so the park came and made a pipe. The unearthed 2 more small places that feed into what I call Big Creek and so my site now has a "water feature" but at least its not going underneath me now.

Its always good to see your latest on here colleen, youre really making good progress into this coastal painting theme now.! Im battling the dark evenings to get at least one 'Fishing' painting done before the end of the year, after making a somewhat rash statement of intent...No sneek previews to date, so as not to allow it to fail this time round.

Looks good, Colleen. And they still remind me of my days on Ocean Beach in Sf, though you're quite a bit north of their now. Merry Chirstmas.

yes, I don't think I have the light here quite right yet, I'll just have to keep painting and it will come.

Thanks Andrew...

here is the final, I took out the gulls they were too distraction and put one in flight on the lower right, made the foam twice as big and tweaked a few things

Now I'll try it larger, and if the clouds part at sunset for a bit maybe I can get a better handle on the colors. Got the values right now tho so it will be easier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 58
A beach at sunrise or sunset is a fine place to be. Thanks for taking me there from this cold, grey, wet morning.

Love it.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back