• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andean Condor (1 Viewer)

tom mckinney said:
Hi Trevor,

Where was it taken? The database entry just says Andes.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Colca Canyon, Southern Peru. Probably the best place to get close to these magnificent birds. When I was present there were 25 birds in the air at one time.

Last edited:
tom mckinney said:
Hi Trevor,

Was wondering whether or not to go there this Summer. I take it you'd recommend it? Did you get Condors elsewhere in Peru?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I was certainly an experience and there is also other birding in the area.

The only other place I saw one was up the Santa Eulalia Valley.

Tom if you pm me your e-mail address I will send you my trip report.

Trev

Tom

Colca is a stone cold cert for Condors but you can see them elsewhere (Machu Picchu for example...which is well kool)

Thomas Valqui's site guide should have a lot of newish info

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Colca is a stone cold cert for Condors

... on most visits ;) (photo from my 2nd visit... ©Juan Carlos Endrigo, a good friend of mine; and yes, the next day was better - as was an earlier visit to this site). Did I hear someone saying "neblina"? Santa Eulalia (east of Lima) is almost as reliable, but at that locality the views are somewhat less impressive, as they normally are spotted soaring far above (versus Colca Canyon where they often are seen almost at eye-level). There are a number of other localities in Peru, but they're all either less reliable or somewhat harder to reach.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Yep Colca is the banker for decent views. I also saw one from a boozer in Aquas Calientes (honest!) and one from the train between there and Ollantaytambo last year, but both very distant and I would have been gutted if that had been it.

So Colca is worth going to for general birding?

I've got Valqui's site guide and it does mention lots of places for Andean Condor, however, other than at Colca, they are all listed as being uncommon or rare.

It seems like a bit of a pain to get to, but I suppose being a first time time visitor to the Andes, not getting Andean Condor would probably ruin the whole trip for me!

tom mckinney said:
So Colca is worth going to for general birding?

I've got Valqui's site guide and it does mention lots of places for Andean Condor, however, other than at Colca, they are all listed as being uncommon or rare.

It seems like a bit of a pain to get to, but I suppose being a first time time visitor to the Andes, not getting Andean Condor would probably ruin the whole trip for me!

Tom

Plus, as you are nearing Chivay, there was a site where we had 5 Diademed Sandpiper Plover, don't know if that is still present, does anyone.?
Also there are plenty of good areas along the way just to stop and bird briefly.

trev

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back