• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Robins abandon their eggs? (1 Viewer)

jenp75

Hi everyone,
I'm curious, a robin built her nest in a pine tree that is growing next to my stiars. It's actually quite low to the ground too. There was an awful wind storm here the other day, and I haven't seen her since. In the nest there are 3 eggs, and there was a "twig" that was still attatched to the tree lying on top of them. I'm not sure if she put the twig on it because she was takin off for a "long haul" or somthing like that...do they do that??? But I haven't seen her around in about 2 days. THANKS

Sounds like she gave up. Maybe there were more eggs and some were taken. Hmm. maybe not, the predator would have taken all.

If she hasn't been on the eggs in two days' time, I'm sure they're no longer viable. No, she wouldn't have put a twig across the nest, indeed the twig may have prevented her from sitting on the eggs if it was too big for her to move.

Welcome to BirdForum, by the way! I see this is your first post. I'm sorry, though, that it had to be about an abandoned nest. Hopefully, she'll build elsewhere and start a new brood.

Thank you for your answers...it's kinda sad that she just dumped the eggs, we were looking forward to having triplets around! LOL I haven't seen her since, she must have just given up. What should I do about the nest and eggs, won't they start to stink after a while??? (see how much I know about birds! NOTHING!! ;) ) Again, thank you kindly for your input, and welcomings

Hi Jen and welcome to BirdForum.net.

As Katy mentioned, I'm sorry it was the abandoned nest that brought you here but we do hope you stop in once in awhile and let us know what you are seeing in your area.

Robins are very tetchy birds and i've known a female kill her young in the nest due to accidental disturbance. they don't like the smell of humans, or it may have been the lynx effect >.<

mamo

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back