• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which filter (1 Viewer)

mav12

i am about to buy a filter for my 400 5.6 and got to wondering which one
it is purely to protect the glass
was thinking of either a uv or skylight
which filter do do you guys use and any reason why
thanks
rob

I do not use filters myself but prefer to use the lens hood to protect the front element. Touch wood it has done a good job so far !

Skylight filters have a slight pinky-orange tint to 'warm-up' mid-day light and cut through haze. UV filters are clear and often used for protecting lens/scope front elements.

Using filters on any lens will cause some degree of image degradation - it is another glass surface for the light to bounce around. This effect is more apparent using cheaper filters and when placing any filter on longer telephoto lenses (e.g. your 400/5.6).

I don't put a protective filter on any of my lenses - extending the lens-hood when you are using the lens should provide enough protection against scratching etc from physical contact.

If that makes you nervous, think about the big 500 and 600mm lenses - it is not practical to put a filter on the front but we still happily use these lenses out in the field in all sorts of conditions...

I tried a protective filter when I first got my 400mm f5.6 but took it off after a few weeks because of the image degradation - have not used one since but Always use the built in lens hood.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back