• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Black-Backed Gulls (1 Viewer)

GBB Gulls have pink(ish) legs. There are two options:
1. We don't see the real color of the legs in that pic (a photographic artifact).
2. The bird it isn't a GBB Gull.

Last edited:
seems like the gbb gull is the only gull that will kill large birds like large ducks geese and cormorants

No other gull seems to attack healthy birds close to their size when they are alone!

would the smaller larus gulls gang up and attack other birds close to their size? it has been recorded in corvids. if there were a couple of herring gulls would they decide to attack/hunt a mallard if one near by?

no a mallard would be able to escape herring gulls easy if its healthy, if its sick they might kill it or if its stranded somewhere or hurt

only gull i think that can take on other healthy large birds are GBB gulls

i just wanted to say what the gbb gull did to that duck it would do to an adult herring or lbb gull of it got a hold of it

from what i have seen certian sub species of kelp and western gulls seem to be the most predatory of the smaller gull species they might take a duck

here is a gbb killing a coot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRP28gcIe5Y&NR=1

Last edited:
what gull u talking about?

Kelp gull same size as a lbb gull or close to it but has a more powerful bill and acts more predatory

My books say they kill full grown geese

Last edited:
I think its unfair of you to compare a G BB Gull to a Raven. GBB Gulls are much more powerful - they can hunt larger prey items on their own, they can defend their prey or carrion against 3-4 Ravens with ease. Ravens on the other hand scavenge more.

I had heard of Ravens in groups trying to kill Hares and succeeding but if a Hare can kick a Goshawk and make it remember for life what it did, then Im sure it could do more to a Raven.

I think its unfair of you to compare a G BB Gull to a Raven. GBB Gulls are much more powerful - they can hunt larger prey items on their own, they can defend their prey or carrion against 3-4 Ravens with ease. Ravens on the other hand scavenge more.

Himalaya, I didn't mean to make it sound unfair as I didn't know the gull could actually do as you said but thanks for educating me on that. I guess you have seen many interactions between gulls and other sea birds first hand right?
I am interested to know more - thats one of the reasons why I am on this forum.

I had heard of Ravens in groups trying to kill Hares and succeeding but if a Hare can kick a Goshawk and make it remember for life what it did, then Im sure it could do more to a Raven.

Agreed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back