• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adrift id help please? (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi All,
I am sorting through my lists/wildfowl section (it's more a wildlife diary really) & I'm not confident about my thoughts on id, can anyone confirm my Bird Adrift please.

id update. I posted the Willow Wablers/Chiff Chaff pics on the main board & both id as ChiffChaff.
There was a slight glimmer of hope when one member thought I may have a WW but he was out numbered.
Sad to say I have to withdraw Willow Warbler from my list. boohoo!
Thank you for your help all.

ps is anyone having probs with pewter? mine is very slow

Attachments

• DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi Pie, I'd go with lesser black backed gull. Can't see the leg colour and can't gauge the size.
If the legs were yellow then it is the LBB, if the legs were pink then it's the great version. Amusing pic though.

Are they the same birds?
The one sitting looks like a Greater Black-backed Gull, but seeing it stood up it looks to be somewhat lacking in bulk. I would say Great black-backed from the first, and if the second photo's the same bird, i'll say the same for that.

P.S. Bad luck about the Willow warbler, hopefully you'll meet one this summer!

I think bill and general head shape of the 1st bird has the look of LBB, GBB would have bigger head and stouter bill.
Second photo I first thought immature Herring Gull with so much brown, but amount of white on head is throwing me a bit. Could be 2nd winter LBB, or maybe 1st winter???? :h?: :h?: ..lol..doncha just love gulls ;) :'D

One for the Q&A experts?? :t:

Hi Pie,

No good me trying if it's squatted as I always go by the fact that, with plumage such as the first one is, if it has pinky grey legs then it's a GBB Gull, but if the legs are yellow then it's a LBB Gull; but as yours is taking a rest, one thing I can be sure of is......it's one of those 2!!!! :'D

The juvenile one I haven't a clue on as it's too dark to tell.

I was pleased to see you got a 2nd opinion for your photo the other day, listen to the song of the Willows and you're just about bound to get one through the next few months. We heard our first yesterday on the S Levels and it was blissful (only because they're so cute as it's not exactly a beautiful song, but easily IDable to my mind) and always reminds me of a high pitched Green Woodpecker laugh. Give it a try and see what you think when you strike lucky.

Good luck Pie,

Sue.

Hi All,
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this id.
Both pics are the same bird, Ive posted another pic to give an idea of size. My bird is in the middle. Hope this helps.
I agree though, Gulls are fun!!!!! Ive tried very hard to ignore them LOL!!
I'm getting to a stage where nothing with wings is safe from my curiosity!

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
pie said:
Gulls are fun!!!!! Ive tried very hard to ignore them LOL!
Hi Pie and all,
Gulls are a pain!!!!!!! :-C
We spent all weekend looking for a Little Gull that has arrived on one of our local mere's and even when we thought we'd seen it judging by the scarlet legs...it appeared we hadn't cos it wasn't little enough!!!!!! lol!!:-C
So I'm giving up and in future unless it's a Black headed or a Herring am just going to call 'em GULLS!!! lol!!
Yes BF is painfully slow this morning and has been all week for some reason????
Shame about your Willow Warbler....I know how you feel!!!lol!!
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,
I think you have a good point there! lol! Maybe I should do the same & stick to a couple of manageable Gulls. LOL!
Yes I'm gutted about the W.W. & now it's my target bird, my chances of seeing it is slim s*d's law!
Thanks again all

Must be my monitor, that second pic the bird looks mottled brown... :egghead: :egghead:..maybe I need specs lol

RKell1 said:
Must be my monitor, that second pic the bird looks mottled brown... :egghead: :egghead:..maybe I need specs lol

It's not just you at all Ray. If you enlarge the 2nd pic as I've done below then it clearly shows it as a juvenile and not an adult.

Hi Pie, the one in the middle of the 3 is a juvenile (unsure which at that distance) and the other with the yellow legs is an adult LBB Gull.

Gulls are infuriating, but a great challenge! (so long as you keep a book handy with your bins.)

Sue.

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi Chris, Ray & Sue,
Thank you for your help, yes he is an unusual colour, quite cute for a gull, that's what attracted me to him. But as you say Sue, its a juv, so I guess the true colour is a long way off.
Thank you for taking the time to enlarge the pic Sue, I love this image, he looks a little helpless.
Thanks again all.

p,s. Chris, Cormorant!! "I do not believe it" (sorry! couldn't resist)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back