• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Misconception spin off -Greenland Wheatear (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Thought it best not to divert an interesting thread;

Why stop there? People are regularly separating Greenland and Iceland Wheatears on passage in the UK too.

You may be able to answer me a question. Greenland Wheatear are larger, longer winged, darker and pass through later than "normal" northern. The bird below fits that profile, it was seen with a "normal" bird and the size and shape differences were marked. My question is how much tail flicking do Icelandic wheatears do? This bird and and another couple that fit the profile seemed to do considerably more than I would expect of a wheatear, more like a redstart.

Attachments

• Greenland Wheatear IMG_3463.JPG
    Greenland Wheatear IMG_3463.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Greenland Wheatear IMG_3510.JPG
    Greenland Wheatear IMG_3510.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Greenland Wheatear IMG_3540.JPG
    Greenland Wheatear IMG_3540.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 75
Hi Jim

While I don't have much experience of non-leucorhoa Wheatears (of course I've seen nominate race here and there but not often and not recently) I very much doubt the tail-flicking you saw in this bird is an aid to identification, it might have just been particularly agitated. I'm sure Icelandic Wheatears flick their tails, wings and bounce up and down the same as British Wheatears. I think safe identification of Greenland Wheatear is best left to in the hand measurements (or by visiting Iceland and Greenland, where there are loads of 'em!).

Cheers, these birds didn't appear agitated at all, just feeding normally. They did flick their tails considerably more than a UK bird would, hence my question.

Greenland Wheatear

A recent article by Peter Clement on this subject:

• Clement 2010. Identification: Greenland Wheatear. Birdwatch 214 (Apr 2010): 26-27.
Richard

Clement 2010. Greenland Wheatear

So what's the verdict in Birdwatch, Richard? Can they or can't they?
"It is often assumed that the larger and usually more brightly plumaged Northern Wheatears that pass through Britain in spring are birds that belong to the northern subspecies leucorhoa, which breeds in Iceland, Greenland and north-east Canada, west to about Hudson Bay. These are usually referred to as 'Greenland Wheaters'. While this may be a true reflection, there are other, more subtle, differences which need to be appreciated in these birds, which are one of the longest-distance migrants to pass through Britain.

Size and colour

Greenland Wheatears mainly differ from the slightly smaller and paler nominate oenanthe by their rich or deeper buff underparts; this is often more heavily tinged orange-buff extending to the belly and flanks and is not restricted to the throat and breast as in most nominate birds. Adult males are usually deeper blue-grey on the upperparts, and both sexes have slightly deeper or broader black bands across the tips of the tail. Juveniles too are a distinctly deeper or richer brownish-buff on the underparts and slightly heavier brown on the upperparts.

It's not always that simple, however, and there are variations within the general rule of brighter plumage. As a result of wear or plumage abrasion, whiter birds may occur on passage in early to mid-spring and on the breeding areas from early summer onwards. In addition, many birds breeding in Iceland are considered to be intermediate in size and plumage and have previously been separated into their own subspecies schiloeri. This form seems doubtfully distinguishable, however, and the differences are more likely to be clinal, with paler southern birds to more intense or deeper plumage in northern individuals. This is possibly also the case elsewhere within the range of nominate oenanthe.

In size Greenland birds can be up to 20 per cent larger, especially in bill, wing and tail lengths, while the legs may be as much as a third longer. This difference is easily seen in birds at the extreme end of the size range – those that breed in Greenland and north-east Canada – but is less clear-cut in individuals that are closer to the size range of oenanthe, which breeds in Britain and across most of Europe to western Siberia.

Measurements of birds in the hand show that male Greenland birds have wing lengths of 102-110 mm and female wings measure 100-108 mm, compared with lengths of 95-102 mm and 93-97 mm respectively for nominate breeding Northern Wheatears from western Europe. It is noteworthy that birds from the Faroes are intermediate in measurements, 97-103 mm and 95-101 mm respectively, and as such appear to be closer to oenanthe than birds from Greenland.

It has also been claimed that birds which are full-chested and taller or more upright in stance and those which perch more readily on posts are Greenland. These characteristics need to be treated with caution, however, since newly arrived migrants of nominate oenanthe can also appear this way, and it may have more to do with the familiarity of their surroundings than a characteristic trait."

Richard (I needed some typing practice!) ;)

Last edited:
Northern Wheatear migration

Peter Clement comments that Greenland Wheatear is one of the longest-distance migrants to pass through Britain. But I find it even more impressive that nominate birds breeding in Alaska & NW Canada also migrate to sub-Saharan Africa (south-westwards of course)!

Richard

Last edited:
I've read somewhere they're believed to be the longest-distance migrant passerines.

PS: and thaks Richard for taking the time to type all this :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back