• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First + Last Dates of Migrant Birds (1 Viewer)

Samuel Perfect

Since starting the Commic Tern thread on the Q&A forum, this lead me to thinking about first arrival and last departure dates of migrant bird species in the UK. Since this is often an important means of measuring annual phenological events and to some degree out of personal interest, I was wondering if anyone would happen to have any sources or links to such data. Any help much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Many county bird reports include first-arrival and last-departure dates for regular migrants, but I don't know whether these data are collated anywhere at national level.

eg, Avon Bird Report and Somerset Birds tabulate both dates annually. Avon Bird Report also gives the forty-year average for both dates, whilst Somerset Birds gives the ten-year average for first-arrival date only.

PS. BTO: Bird migration timeline.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back