• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goyt Valley (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
First of all, I have to say that I had one of those days that I have from time to time, where for no apparent reason I just get totally stressed... no idea why... but unfortunately today was one of those days!

As such, I'm not going to give any objective opinions about Goyt Valley, as they will no doubt be clouded by me being in the worst mood of all time!

So to keep it to birding, well considering we only did about a third of what we were going to do, I have to say - with the benefit of hindsight and a whisky - I was pleased with what we saw (and heard).

We did a quick walk from Derbyshire Bridge, up the old Buxton Road then across the moor top and down into the valley - I'll be suprised if it took more than 2 and a half hours, including snack break.

The reason I am particularly glad we went is because I was able to add Red Grouse to my year list. I used to visit the Derbyshire Dark Peak on a regular basis in my late teens, and so I consider Red Grouse to be a bit "old hat"... until it occured to me just recently that I hadn't seen any for at least 15 years... probably more!

Today put that right, as we we're frequently implored to "go-back, go-back, go-back". At the same time, Curlews were calling, and the occasional melancholy interjection by Golden Plover made the moorland stroll particularly evocative.

Actually, for anyone who wants to add any of these birds, Derbyshire Bridge (near the Cat and Fiddle) is a particularly easy place to go for these moorland species, that might otherwise require a long trudge over the peat.

In addition, amongst others, we saw a surprise Grey Heron and a few Stonechat, and watched a mother duck leading her ten (!) chicks up a long steep hillside.

Just wish I'd been in a better mood!!!

It might be Derbyshire, eh? Something in the air or oozing out of the rocks? I went with my son the other week to the Upper Derwent reservoirs hoping for goshawk. Well, my poor mood was equally matched by the weather and we saw very little indeed - although a hen harrier was a bonus we didn't expect so early. On the way home via Chapel-en-le-Frith to see the 'resident' great-grey shrike it even decided to snow - a true horizontal full-blown blizzard: no chance of the shrike. So home it was - via Cromford not to see their infamous hawfinches. Ah well - at least we got home safe and sound.

I love the Goyt Valley. From my days as a mad-keen cyclist I know every inch of the tarmac in that beautiful area. I saw my first ever Ring Ouzel there four years ago and come late May I'll be back again hoping to see Pied Flycatchers, Redstart and Tree Pipit in the woodlands. Talking of Golden Plovers we've got them on the lawn outside work at the moment. Early May and they seem to be on every patch of grass in Reykjavík and I usually see them doing their slow-winged butterfly display over my house every morning now. No wonder they're such popular birds with the hoi polloi here.

E

E

Edward said:
I love the Goyt Valley. From my days as a mad-keen cyclist I know every inch of the tarmac in that beautiful area. I saw my first ever Ring Ouzel there four years ago and come late May I'll be back again hoping to see Pied Flycatchers, Redstart and Tree Pipit in the woodlands. Talking of Golden Plovers we've got them on the lawn outside work at the moment. Early May and they seem to be on every patch of grass in Reykjavík and I usually see them doing their slow-winged butterfly display over my house every morning now. No wonder they're such popular birds with the hoi polloi here.

E

E
Wow! an Icelander coming to the UK to birdwatch

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back