• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do You Birdwatch even when you are not actually Birding? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
This could be out for a walk but don't have your binoculars with you I do it occasionly but try not to I just tend to Birdwatch when I have my notebook and binoculars but yesterday I was out for a walk around a few streets and happen to hear and see Waxwings so I watched them for abit then carried on with my walk.

I'm like the off duty policeman Euan, whenever I'm out, I'm always looking and listening for birds, even on shopping trips etc. Sad I know but it's almost second nature!

I'm not sure it's possible to 'switch off' once you're a birder. You're always aware of the slightest glimpse or sound of birds (and indeed other wildlife) no matter what. I've always thought I should keep a notebook by the bedside to record a list of 'dreamt-birds'!
Either that or a visit to a therapist!
Russ

I can remember my sports teacher screaming at me to mark their winger better during a football match (age 9ish). Unfortunately rugby was much more my game and I was distracted by a buzzard flying over.

Rich

Its been remarked on in me very often that my head never stops turning to look at what's passing or listen to calls and songs - not to mention my wife yelling at me to watch the road....

I don't always stop when I sleep, had a Red-backed Shrike in my dreams last night. Not putting it on my year-list though o:D

John

Is this really a question? A couple of weeks ago, noticed a flock of pigeons flying quickly, last one was doing a good impression of a raptor, even swooping, wait a minute, it is a sparrowhawk! Enlivened the journey to work.

I've probably got a reputation for being strange! Standing in the street talking to a neighbour, I'll suddenly turn round and look up- " Green Woodpecker over" then carry on the conversation! Never mind, I'm happy! ( I know lots of people who'd go running if they thought Brad Pitt or someone was arriving!)

I remember years ago talking to a guy that had driven his hire car off the road and into a wall while watching a Black Vulture in Majorca. I don't think it was a tick for him at the time either!

Tony

Do You Birdwatch even when you are not actually Birding?

Yep, always, when I'm outside. Sometimes to the annoyance of family and friends, I'll sometimes exclaim, "Blackcap" or similar, in the middle of the conversation..........family have got used to it but sometimes other people look at me like I'm little deranged...........probably thinking, 'Torrettes' or something.

I drive, continually looking up at the trees - seriously dangerous I know

Same here, always getting a bo*****ing off the wife for doing this.

I also work in an office in the north of Leeds where we often have Red Kites gliding over the area, sometimes right over the office. Needless to say I'm often distracted from my work. Fortunately my boss doesn't seem to notice!!

Richard

Will anyone respond "no, I have to be in the right frame of mind with my bins round my neck"? For me I am always birding, even when driving to work.

I can remember my sports teacher screaming at me to mark their winger better during a football match (age 9ish). Unfortunately rugby was much more my game and I was distracted by a buzzard flying over.

Rich

I was fielding...during a cricket match (age 11.ish) and my games teacher screaming my name!..bringing me back to consciousness!..as I watched 2 Buzzards circling out the wild blue..with the cricket ball hitting the turf beneath my feet!

Never did like cricket....

Constantly, and occasionally to my detriment (but after 30+ years what can you do). My boss has an office that overlooks the sea. I always position my seat facing the window...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back