• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Raptor (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

I was out in the back garden this morning and heard a screech from behind me. I turned around and saw a large (medium seagull in size) bird about 30ft or so up and about 70 - 100 ft away. I thought it may have caught a smaller bird in mid flight as the sky is full of song birds, house martins etc at the moment. The bird in question had a snow white chest and really black wings (underside). I didn't get a view of the rest of it as I had to turn my attention back to the 2 dogs I was mating at the time.
I live in the countryside, lots of wood land and it was over a recently ploughed field which has been attracing lots of wood pigeons. There is also a large Lough beside me several mile long and a fair bit of marshy ground.
Any ideas what would fit this description and live in this type of setting.

John.

Chkm8 said:
I was out in the back garden this morning and heard a screech from behind me. I turned around and saw a large (medium seagull in size) bird about 30ft or so up and about 70 - 100 ft away. I thought it may have caught a smaller bird in mid flight as the sky is full of song birds, house martins etc at the moment. The bird in question had a snow white chest and really black wings (underside). I didn't get a view of the rest of it as I had to turn my attention back to the 2 dogs I was mating at the time.
I live in the countryside, lots of wood land and it was over a recently ploughed field which has been attracing lots of wood pigeons. There is also a large Lough beside me several mile long and a fair bit of marshy ground.
Any ideas what would fit this description and live in this type of setting.

John.

Hi
Just on martin info and bird catching; "hobby" springs to mind but you didn't mention bright rufous red undercarriage around legs which would be the give away. any more info on plumage?
Jono

I'm with Jono on this.

A quick glimpse of a Hobby against a bright sky and you're only going to register the high contrast, detecting colours would have taken a few more seconds.

Cheers,

Andy.

quick glance

Andrew Rowlands said:
I'm with Jono on this.

A quick glimpse of a Hobby against a bright sky and you're only going to register the high contrast, detecting colours would have taken a few more seconds.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks for the info I only got a quick glance and it was a bright sunny day plus didn't want to take my eyes of the dogs which had just tied so I only had a few seconds.
Had a look at a few pictures on the internet. The pointed wings fit but from the info I gathered it is a small bird where the one I saw would have been medium and certainly larger than crow size. Guess it's time to get the camera out and try to capture a shot.

John.

managed a photo

lockbreeze926 said:
A bigger version of a Hobby, especially without red legs, sounds like a Peregrine.

Managed a photo hopefully it uploads as I never tried it on this site before. Not the best as the bird was some distance away. Seems there is some red around the tail.
John.

Attachments

• Bird.gif
    Bird.gif
    132.2 KB · Views: 130
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back