• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Today at UW

Lots of birds on the Moors but little on the Flashes due to the workmen.
Three Wigeon and some Snipe were extras from the usual.
Panorama pic shows bird concentration on Moors.:t:

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 116
ID please

005.JPG

Any idea on species .Taken on the pathway from carpark to Water Ral hide. just listened to the call of a Chiffchaff,and it bears close to the noise the bird was making

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 116
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
View attachment 460801

Any idea on species .Taken on the pathway from carpark to Water Ral hide. just listened to the call of a Chiffchaff,and it bears close to the noise the bird was making

It is a juvenile Chiffchaff. Note the dark legs and scruffy plumage. Juvenile Willow Warblers generally appear neater and yellower on the underparts.

Brian

Willow Tit

Willow Tit was at the Moors today - saw it at 12.50 in the bushes along the footpath behind the concrete hide and then he was around for a good couple of hours at the feeding table at the concrete hide. Then I popped into the new hide and he appeared on the feeder there. I left around 3ish and he was still about then.

Have to say a big thank you to all the workparties that have cleared in front of the two hides - makes it a pleasure to look out of the hides now and also to whoever cleared a really good pathway through and along the Salwarpe.

Thank you very much - it really is appreciated! :t::t:

Lou

Willow Tit was at the Moors today - saw it at 12.50 in the bushes along the footpath behind the concrete hide and then he was around for a good couple of hours at the feeding table at the concrete hide. Then I popped into the new hide and he appeared on the feeder there. I left around 3ish and he was still about then.

Have to say a big thank you to all the workparties that have cleared in front of the two hides - makes it a pleasure to look out of the hides now and also to whoever cleared a really good pathway through and along the Salwarpe.

Thank you very much - it really is appreciated! :t::t:

Lou

Ill second that,both hide outlooks much improved ,Thank you

Photos from moors today

Attachments

• Willow Tit A IMG_4613.jpg
    Willow Tit A IMG_4613.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 90
  • Willow Tit A IMG_4616.jpg
    Willow Tit A IMG_4616.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Willow Tit A IMG_4623.jpg
    Willow Tit A IMG_4623.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Butterfly A IMG_4588.jpg
    Butterfly A IMG_4588.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Butterfly A IMG_4643.jpg
    Butterfly A IMG_4643.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 70
Whinchat

Thank you for posting that Whinchat picture from yesterday, Phil. That means I did see it at approx 11:30 on the fence above the weather station. It was at the limit of my bins and lens, but the pictures do seem to match.

Attachments

• IMG_26255crop.jpg
    IMG_26255crop.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 132
I did the early shift at the Moors this morning entirely from the East hide as I was trying out some new photographic equipment and I wanted the sun at my back to make things as simple as possible.
I got there at 0655 and eventually handed over the watch to Rob at between 1130 and 1145.
While my photos are transferring from the CF card to the PC, I'll give a quick précis of species noted (excluding the more common-or-garden passerines and ever-present waterfowl and gulls):
2xPochard
Wigeon heard but not visually connected
25x(max count) Greylag
49xTeal
5xLittle Grebe
17xShoveler
6xGCG
2xKingfisher
4xGrey Heron
2xLBBG (1 Juv)
12xHouse martin (max count)
2xSwallow
1xLittle Egret
27xLapwing
2xSnipe
This transfer of imagery is going to take time as I've taken far more shots than I normally do (641 to be exact), I may get dragged (kicking and screaming, obviously) to the local before they're all on the PC, so I may have to post resultant imagery tomorrow morning.
While I'm waiting, I'll explain the new equipment. I'm still using the old and trusted Canon 7D but attached to that I have a 1.4x converter and a 600mm Astro Telescope (used as a prime lens). There's a whole section of the Forum dedicated to the subject here (but it's still not a commonly used method - probably because it necessitates manual focus and it's quite a lot to carry about: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=657
If anyone's interested, the actual equipment I'm now using is this, that I bought this week, from Roy C, a Forum stalwart: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=265023. This obviously needs a sturdy tripod and head. Also, I'm glad I chose to take my wireless remote shutter release with me too as the whole set-up is susceptible to vibration due to hand contact with the camera or tripod, and movement on the hides' wooden floors.
Once I have some pictures to upload I'll whack 'em up...

Last edited:
Here's the first few...
Greylag, Lapwing, Little Grebe, Shoveler and Stock Dove.

Attachments

• Greylag_Forum.jpg
    Greylag_Forum.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Lapwing_Forum.jpg
    Lapwing_Forum.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 117
  • Little Grebe_Forum.jpg
    Little Grebe_Forum.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Shoveler_Forum.jpg
    Shoveler_Forum.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 101
  • Stock Dove_Forum.jpg
    Stock Dove_Forum.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 173
Thanks guys - really appreciated.
Here are the last two for today...
Snipe and a couple of the Little Egret.

Attachments

• Snipe_Forum.jpg
    Snipe_Forum.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Little Egret 2_Forum.jpg
    Little Egret 2_Forum.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 115
  • Little Egret 1_Forum.jpg
    Little Egret 1_Forum.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I saw the Willow Tit at the Flashes at about 08.15. I then saw a Willow Tit at the Moors at 12.25. I knew that Gert was at the Flashes so I texted him and he texted back to say he hadn't seen the Willow Tit but he would have another look. At 13.11 Gert texted to say he did not see a Willow Tit. So based on the evidence available it was decided that in all probability the Moors bird was probably the Flashes bird and until evidence came to light of Willow Tits being seen at the same time but in different places, then only one bird was on the reserve.

Des.

Since the man and boy we met at the sailing pool at 10:20 had already seen a Willow Tit at a Moors feeding station that morning (having come straight from there) and since we had observed one at the Cuckoo Hide from 08:00 to 10:15 it suggests that there are two birds. It was sufficiently frequently in our view for it not to have flown from one site to the other.

Margaret

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back