• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (1 Viewer)

how much worse is the viewfinder than on the FZ38 John?
Thanks
Sean

I wish I could compare directly.

In bright sunlight, it seemed more difficult to locate a bird in the elders/hawthorns. It was bad enough before.

Probably, with adjusting the four settings 'in' the Viewfinder (Contrast, Brightness and 2 Colour, as I recall- camera downstairs in the car), I'll conquer it.

Also, I could zoom out, then in again.

Hope this helps- but it's not insuperable. The camera, though, is so superior as to make this a minor problem. The 'Burst' is fabulous- just like a motor drive- and the 5.5 re-focuses between each shot ! !

Another is getting used to the lower, almost flush, buttons for the Video and Review.

Thanks. I had the FZ18, then 38 and the 38 EVF was far worse than the 18. If the 150 is worse again I can't imagine it. The EVF 'warbler in hawthorn' problem is a central reason why I upgraded to a µ43 camera. I'm very interested in the FZ150 as a backup all purpose thing instead of having to change lenses though, but the thought of an even worse EVF than the FZ38 is hard to bear!

Cheers
Sean

I think this is a great image. The beetle is super sharp. You used an aperture of 2.8 which is pretty wide and the blurred background you wanted should happen with that aperture. I suspect that the grasses in the background were just too close to be completely blurred and shooting that shot with a dedicated macro lens like the Raynox 1.5 is probably the only way that could be achieved.

I have an FZ18 and an FZ100 and the viewfinder is bigger in the FZ18, but is more of a matrix than the FZ100. I have looked through the viewfinder of the FZ38 and can't see any difference between it and the FZ100. The FZ150 has exactly the same viewfinder as the FZ100.

I have an FZ18 and an FZ100 and the viewfinder is bigger in the FZ18, but is more of a matrix than the FZ100. I have looked through the viewfinder of the FZ38 and can't see any difference between it and the FZ100. The FZ150 has exactly the same viewfinder as the FZ100.

Yes, there was a EVF change after the FZ18. I hated it first on my FZ28 (later switched to the FZ35/38), but I'm now so used to it that it's no major problem.

O'Rev
I'm not sure the Raynox is classed as a cheap lens c£183. Well I hope that isn't classed as a cheap one8-P, otherwise an expensive one is well out of my price bracket - I was thinking of buying the said Raynox.
B :)John
do you know something I don't about the Raynox ..please explain:t:

Just for interest I was testing some teleconverters today on my Sony HDR SR8. The Raynox didn't look too bad but I liked the Fujiyama. Here is a full size and crop comparison from stills straight out of the camera (full zoom on the camera 10x ).
Raynox DCR 1540 PRO HD
GroBartiG Digit 2.5x AF (German?)
Fujiyama AF 2X Teleconverter Lens
The Raynox advantage is that it's a 52 mm thread , whereas the Fujiyama is 37mm.
I'm going to test them out on the Canon SX40HS tomorrow.

Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
Oct 2011

Attachments

• Test Sony hdr tele comp.jpg
    Test Sony hdr tele comp.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 143
  • test sonyhdr teles crop comp.jpg
    test sonyhdr teles crop comp.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 112
Quote from Norfolk bird forum, re the FZ150

"It was described to me, by someone far more camera literate, as in-camera cropping.

Please read (click on 'Specification'): http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...100/index.html

Therefore, normal optical zoom is 24x; 8M 29.4x; 5M 37.5x; 3M 46.9x"

Does the same logic apply to all super-zooms when adjusting the sensor setting, or is this unique to this model using the:-
'Intelligent Resolution technology'
B :) john

Canon have an inbuilt 1.54x and 1.95x teleconverters which keep full frame size with full Image Stabilising. They work a treat. There is a thread on this camera in the Forum.
Neil

Hiya guys. Im not a massivew bird watcher but do like to get photos of them. After searching the web i came accross this threadc on the fz150, a camera i now know quite a bit about after owning and test driving it. As there seems a few here mentioning it, i thought i would just add this........

This camera is not a dslr, not so quick to zoom and noise is more evident. Colours are not as good BUT, This camera has succesfully tracked radio controlled planes today, One powered with jet engines. It has captured horses in full gallop with ease, The colours are good enough unless your into looking at colour spectrums. Its good on focusing and tracked several common birds flying overhead with NO problems whatsoever, It has captured my two westies chasing each other in the garden and although rubbish due to the photographers errors, The camera did well on capturing birds landing and taking off from trees near my house.
Ok so a proper zoom ring would be good but I got used to this camera very quickly, Using the switch on the camera and on the lens itself was great.
I own a canon 40D with panasonic G1, along with Canon L lenses etc but i will have no hesitation in selecting the fz150 to be the one i take when out with the family, on holiday or anytime im going somewhere and i dont want to carry a backpack full of gear. In fact, i fully intend to prove that i can do as well with the fz150 for the (paid) re-enactment shoots i do, as my pro gear. Personally i dont think this will be too hard.
One word of warning, Dont expect 1 battery to be enough. This is the BIGGEST pitfall. no optical viewfinder is going to mean you need some spares. Ive taken 550 shots so far and am halfway through the second battery charge. I bought 2 extras and am quite confident this will last me a re-enactment shoot or whatever else.
Sorry bout dribbling on but I thought i'd post this in case anyone is still wondering how a hands on test went.
There are plenty of people knocking this camera, because they wont budge from their canons, nikons etc, I hope any readers of this can recognise these people will moan about anything thats not their camera. This, IMO is the best superzoom and is well worth investment

Thanks Ric, you echo a lot of my thoughts about the FZ150 (still awaiting delivery), I think as a camera for bird photographs, it is one of the best around. Its not a DSLR, but seems to produce excellent quality as opposed to the superb quality of a DSLR, although I think that on some occasions (like sunny conditions) it may produce images that are very close in quality. I'm also pleased to hear your practical experiences, as they confirm what I was hoping the camera should do. I currently have the FZ100 and have three batteries myself, but I have never been in a situation where I have needed more than two. I can also get well over a thousand shots out of a single battery, but that involves lots of "bursts". Bursts of 50 shots runs up the numbers quite quickly, but don't seem to drain the battery.

I see what you mean, but I don't consider the blurred back leg and antenna a problem. That simply came about because of the wide aperture you used. The bits that are in the front are super clear.

Does anyone have any hands on thoughts of how the light speed autofocus performs?

I had a Canon S2 several years ago and found speed of focus to be the limiting factor of it when taking bird shots so upgraded to a DSLR, which has died. So I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of my lens and go back to a super zoom or spend lots more money on a new DSLR body. I only ever use my pics for the web so I don't really need the outright quality of a DSLR.

Cheers
G

......One word of warning, Dont expect 1 battery to be enough. This is the BIGGEST pitfall. no optical viewfinder is going to mean you need some spares. .....
. This, IMO is the best superzoom and is well worth investment

ric alexander WELCOME to BirdForum. And thanks for sharing your experiences. I fully support your opinion that one needs a spare battery. I'd guess a single spare would do for most regular users though.

You certainly have added to my confidence that this ought to become my next camera. :-O

Hi Garry, This may or may not answer your question about the "light speed" autofocus. For starters, I don't own an FZ150 - yet. On order still waiting delivery. The "light speed" autofocus is the same system as used on the G3 and GH2. Trusted Reviews said this about the autofocus
"We’re impressed by the G3’s overall performance, especially its super quick autofocus system. Used in good light the G3’s contrast-detect AF system is as good as instantaneous, and also holds up pretty well in less than optimal light too, with a bright orange AF assist lamp coming to the camera’s aid if required. Overall, if you’re looking for a camera that’s quick enough to capture the moment before it’s gone, the G3 is a sound bet. "

Photographyblog's test on the G3 said the following about the "light speed" autofocus

"Panasonic have published marketing data which suggests that the G3's AF is as fast, if not faster, than a typical DSLR camera's, with a claimed speed of less than 0.1 second when used with certain lenses, and a still impressive 0.18 second with the 14-42mm kit lens. In practice I noticed very little difference in speed between the G3 and a DSLR, and there were also very few occasions when the G3 failed to lock onto the subject, especially when using the centre AF point."

While both these reviews apply to a different Panasonic camera, the system used in both is the same, so performance should be similar. Ric is actually using one and hopefully he will be able to add some real life experiences with this camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back