• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Ever since I put up the feeders it was first green finches and then gold finches. Both species seem to go round in groups I guess doing a grand tour of neighbouring gardens, they empty the feeder in one day now. It's costing me a fortune in sunflower hearts (worth every penny though!).
On the peanut feeder it has been the blue and great tit, although we have had visits from this young un

Attachments

• greatspottedwoodpecker.jpg
    greatspottedwoodpecker.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 98
still house sparrows and great tits, not many blue tits,alot of great spotted woodpeckers old and young,spend more time chasing each other than feeding

House Sparrows, Plenty of rival Blackbirds disputing their patch, packs of schreeching Swifts (at this time of year) and on occasion, a lone Kestrel which seems to commute - probably to the downs.

Lots of magpies and crows - but also many swallows! Mind you we haven't got a garden as such which is probably why we don't have many songbirds

At this very moment then the most common is siskins. I have more than 20, can't count exactly as they are packed tight round the catch tray on the sunflower heart feeder, plus a lot more eating off the ground. Probably as many greenfinches though. I have two feeding areas, the little 'uns are in the small bit by my living room window. The big bird table and all the wild bird seed and corn etc is in the other part of the garden by the kitchen window. That bit is full of jackdaws and collared doves.

Lots of activity from the 8 or so "core" species.

Safest bet on any given day are the Goldfinches.

Cardinals.finches, buntings, jay birds, sparrows. black birds, and doves visit my feeders each day. We had about 20 cardinals at one time and that many hummingbirds also.

Three Siskins in my cousins garden today. Haven't seen them for months I would have thought there was enough food in the glen for them at this time of year. They are soooo beautiful

jeanette

Free said:
It would be interesting to see which is the commonest bird in each ones garden in differant parts of the World and in England in which county.

I am in Kent and its the Sparrow, No complaints i love em!

Anyone else?
I am in west sussex and top of my list is blue tit followed by great tit,chaffinch and greenfinch.

In Leeds in West Yorkshire I get about a dozen Goldfinches eating the thistle seed & sunflower hearts with similar no. of sparrows. Other regulars are 3-4 Great tits, a couple of Bluetits a single Greenfinch and an odd robin...

Mark

I also have a family of E. Towhees of which I saw their offspring for the first time today. Then I have my faithful Chichadees and Titimice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back