• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Free said:
It would be interesting to see which is the commonest bird in each ones garden in differant parts of the World and in England in which county.

I am in Kent and its the Sparrow, No complaints i love em!

Anyone else?

I am in Preston in Lancashire and get mostly house sparrows. :frog:

In Northern Illinois, I have mostly English house sparrows (imagine that!) and house finches. Many others come and go, though!

Houston, Texas common yardbirds

Most common in my neighborhood/garden:
Mourning Dove
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Cardinal
House Saprrow
Great-tailed Grackle
European Starling
Red-winged Blackbird

In my garden (N. Alabama) the top players are the House Sparrow and Morning Dove. The Robin and Blue Jay are always present but not in any large numbers.

Oh yes and the grey tree rat's that think they are birds (they try to get at the seed as much as the birds... :storm: ) and the neighbors cat is always skulking in the shadows (it is a very fat, white cat with no claws so it doesn't do any damage :eek!: )...

Grackle stampede.

The common grackle is definatly the most common at the moment. As they are assembiling for the fall migration. Hundreds are showing up and emptying the feeders. And after the leaves fall they somtimes gather in the trees and all of a sudden they all become totally silent and you feel like there starring at you. A little creepy. B :)

Last edited:
In my area: Crows, Mourning Doves, Mockingbirds, Redbirds, Sparrows, Finches, and a big old red tail hawk that likes to hang around.

Northern Cardinals

We have 3-4 families of Northern Cardinals who visit our garden very regularly.

The next most plentiful birds are White-winged Doves. A couple of months ago, we had 10-15 White-wingeds every day; now it's down to 4-5. (Apparently, these doves only moved into the Houston area a few years ago.)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back