• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (31 Viewers)

I have to agree. These are well publicised site. These are sites where you can watch these birds in the knowledge that you won't unnecessarily disturb them.

I can think of alternative site for all those birds (with the exception of Golden Oriole). Now if any of those sites were mentioned it would be a different matter.

John

In fairness to John, all the sites he mentions have been well publicised in the various 'Where to Watch' books over the years so are not exactly a great secret! If he wanted to know where the Tengmalm's owls are breeding then that's another matter...

19th Feb 2010 ~ Whitlingham Country Park, Strumpshaw Fen & Buckenham Marshes

Despite the changeable weather we managed a good days birding on Friday!

First stop was at Whitlingham Country Park where we managed to pick up on the Red Necked Grebe in amongst the GC Grebes at the Western end of the great broad, it was also nice to see the GC Grebes displaying even in the bitterly cold wind! Walking towards the far Eastern end of the great broad there were good numbers of Mute Swan, Cormorants, Gadwall, Tufties, Pochards and BH Gulls some of which had the beginnings of full black breeding plumage on their heads. After scanning the broad we picked up on 2 Female Smew in amongst the Pochards together with a Female Goosander which was also nice to see!

Next it was on to Strumpshaw Fen where from the Fen Hide we had super views of the Female Smew slowly working her way up the channel, we had much better views of this bird than the two at Whitlingham! After a brief heavy sleet shower a number of Coot and Tufted Ducks made a sudden move away from the reeds to just in front of the Fen hide, a few minutes later an Otter was spotted in front of the reeds slowly making its way towards the channel, this was my first sighting of an Otter and it was to be made even better when we realised that there were 2 of them swimming together! Next up were 2 fly over Bitterns making their way to the broad in front of the reception hide, it made a nice change to see an extended flight view of a Bittern! Our trip here was to finish with super views of a female Hen Harrier dropping in to the reeds and flying off into the distance a short time later!

We ended our day birding at Buckenham Marshes, here there were good numbers of Wigeon and Teal along with Greylag, Canada Geese and a Snow Goose of unkown origin ~ (probably an escapee?) Whilst scanning the area we picked up on the pair of wintering Peregrines perched on a gate, it was nice to see them both together and compare the considerable size difference between the male and female. The final sightings of the day were to be a Female Marsh Harrier and 2 Little Egrets.

Attachments

• Red Necked Grebe, Whitlingham Country Park.JPG
    Red Necked Grebe, Whitlingham Country Park.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Strumpshaw Fen, Reception Hide.JPG
    Strumpshaw Fen, Reception Hide.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Female Smew, Fen Hide, Strumpshaw Fen.JPG
    Female Smew, Fen Hide, Strumpshaw Fen.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 153
  • Otter, Fen Hide, Strumpshaw Fen.JPG
    Otter, Fen Hide, Strumpshaw Fen.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Female & Male Peregrines, Buckenham Marshaes.JPG
    Female & Male Peregrines, Buckenham Marshaes.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Two trips to Whitlingham this weekend, but neither gave me the opportunity to do the WeBS count I had planned - will have to try before work one day next week. Anyway, was there at dusk on Sunday and had a "heard tick" - a redhead Smew flew in and landed close, giving a very quiet call - a short, clipped, hard sort of a quack. I know, hardly a Sound Approach sonagram...

Also impressed to see at least 65 Cormorants there at dusk, which I think is a record count for me. To be honest, I hardly ever go at dusk, so this might not be at all unusual. Also at least 32 GC Grebes, 6 Goosander, and finally got a close view of the Scaup, with its lovely vermiculations on the scapulars. Didn't see the RN Grebe, but it was getting dark (and it was certainly there on Saturday when I popped in).

The other surprise was the speed the broad had iced up - it appeared pretty much unfrozen on Saturday lunchtime, but was about 80% iced up by Sunday dusk. I guess the water is so cold it doesn't take much to tip it over the edge at the moment.

Andy

Atlas update

Oh, and following up from last week's emails about coverage for Bird Atlas 2007-11, good to see on

http://blx1.bto.org/atlas-results/species-richness.html

that there are now only 2 Norfolk squares not filled in red for the winter - the Coltishall square has clearly had a few records added - thanks Sacha or whoever else might have added these! Suffolk still has its single non-red square, so we can still beat them!

(Note, red means over 90% of species seen in the previous atlas have been found for the current one. However, it doesn't mean every possible species has been found in each square yet, so still plenty left to look for).

Cheers

Andy

Hi all

Loving the Norfolk forum! I'm moving (from Central Africa) out to Syderstone side around the middle of the year and looking forward to some great birding and hopefully meeting at leas some of the people here on the forum.

A Great Northern Diver was a nice surprise find off West Runton beach car park this afternoon, and even better was fairly close inshore to allow good views and get a number of others on to it.

The Black Redstart is still along the cliffs but was extremely elusive today, I saw it for about 20 seconds in about four hours of looking! It has apparently now taken to hiding inside a hole in the cliff-face for well over an hour at a time, maybe just sheltering from the cold wind or it could have something to do with the local Kestrels patrolling the cliffs.

Simon

Attachments

• GNDiver4.jpg
    GNDiver4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Kestrel1.jpg
    Kestrel1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 117
I though it was just me being unlucky with the black redstart, I tried before and after work but had no luck, not that I'm yearlisting or anything!

We saw at least 8 Barn Owls in the holkham/wells area today including 5 from one spot, 2 Black Brants still on the wells football pitch, 8 Shore larks in holkham bay which I saw had gone up to 15 by the afternoon, the very smart looking leucistic pink foot close to Lady anne's drive, 30+ White fronted Geese on the fresh marsh, the 4 Scaup in the harbour mouth as the boating lake was almost entirely frozen and a fine male Hen Harrier at warham greens. All in all a very nice day despite the bitingly cold wind

Another first for Titchwell!

Hot on the heels of the January Pacific loon, a potential first for Norfolk if accepted.......another potential first today in the shape of giraffa camelopardalis!

Unmistakable in winter 'plumage' and 'flying' with neck outstretched, a 5 foot high juvenile filled with Helium was seen this morning drifting west along the beach fifty feet in the air!!!!!!!

Obviously way off course it may be be picked up further west as it migrates along the coast.

When we first heard the report, we thought it was just a load of 'hot air' but several visitors came back to the centre and 'stuck their necks out' and described the leopard like spots to perfection.

Goodness only knows what the observers thought they first saw the giraffe approaching, hundreds of metres away to the east. The balloon was last seen over Holme-next-the sea!

What are your most unusual or amusing Norfolk sightings? Lets keep it clean!

RE - Bird Trip to Norfolk

Hi all

Cheers for the tips.

Note the comments about the sites but as a few have said on here they are all in the books and are known to most. Would defo not put any info out that may harm or disturb the birds.

Im really looking forward to coming down, just hope I can keep er indoors happy whilst I tend to my birding habit |=)|

Cheers

John

"What are your most unusual or amusing Norfolk sightings? Lets keep it clean!"

Not hugely funny but quite rare
while looking for twite in brancaster staithe car park last year, I spotted John Craven filming for country file. He kept fluffing his lines, he blamed it on the fact he'd eaten too much cheese at lunchtime!
I phoned it into RBA but they decided not to release the news

Great day in the brecks today, 45+ Crossbills, a few brambling still, 2 Goshawks both seen perched and flying, 2 Willow tits (calling) and 3 Hawfinches.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about the Waxwings which have been reported in Gorleston in the past few days? It says they are opposite the police station, near the junction of Lowestoft Road and Englands Lane but there is only one tree with berries there, in the grounds of the Methodist Church, and I have been keeping a watch on that all winter with no success.

Ron

Last edited:
Hello ALL
We are planning a visit to Snettisham next Monday and staying at the Queen Victoria for 3 nights .We would be obliged if any one would spare the time to suggest sites to visit and the best times to visit.

Also partial to a good fish supper :eat: so where is the best chip shop locally

Last week I saw a fairly large flock of pink Feet landing in a field by Titchwell,
there was a white goose in amongst them, can anyone tell me if there is any way of telling Snow Goose from ordinary barnyard Goose in flight? E.G. does barnyard Goose have black wingtips?
Jackied

The juv Glaucous Gull, which has been hanging around the north coast for some time now, spent the afternoon by Cromer Pier today, mostly on the first groyne west of the pier, and showing very well.

Also the Black Redstart at West Runton was being much more co-operative today, although it was still fairly mobile and spent a fair amount of time along the cliffs to the west of the ramp today, as well as to the east. It even started to sing briefly at one point, although with the waves crashing on the beach I couldn't quite hear it but you could see its bill moving anyway!

There was still two Purple Sands at Sheringham yesterday, roosting on the rocks out from the shelter in front of The Beach Hut Cafe.

Simon

Attachments

• BlkRed5.jpg
    BlkRed5.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Glaucous4.jpg
    Glaucous4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 121
Nicedave - the chip shop on the corner by the traffic lights in Dersingham is a good one; there is one at Snettisham Beach but from what other people have said it isn't as good...
Titchwell RSPB is nearby and always worth a visit; Bearded Tit, Hen Harrier, Marsh Harrier, Bittern, Spotted Redshank, Water Pipit and Velvet Scoter are all there at the moment...

jackied - if you saw a white goose with black wing tips with a pinkfeet flock near Titchwell last week it was almost certainly the Snow Goose. Farmyard geese are all white (no black wing tips) and are structurally different too.

O M W L

At last, Glork 'on my window list' (Sheringham).

It's only taken 12 years !

A frustrating time recently, as it was seen and then not seen outside my front- sometimes even when I was inside. Obviously, I don't spend all day looking out at the North Sea. This was someting I quickly got out of, after the first few days here.

I've seen even closer shots: on the wooden groynes. (Well done, Rob.)

Attachments

• 025pse1.jpg
    025pse1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 129
A couple of pics below of the Glaucous taken between the showers this morning.

Simon

Attachments

• Glaucous6.jpg
    Glaucous6.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Glaucous8.jpg
    Glaucous8.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 108
Popped out yesterday afternoon once the rain abated, little to report except a few thrushes at Happisburgh and a lovely Barn Owl at East Ruston, have a look on the blog if you really have nothing else to do!
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi'all on'ya,I went up along the north norfolk coast yesterday,(saturday27feb),I was going to look for the Snow Buntings,as you may know saturday was at times peeing it down,as it was when I drove onto the car park,at Salthouse beach,didn't stop as time was short,(120+mile round trip for me)
so can you tell me if I was in the correct area?and if so where to go from the car park,I got a few days off from work this week,and I don't often get the chance to get up that way,so will be going again,as time won't matter so much,
many thanks for any addvice,.. Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back