• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Bino's (1 Viewer)

Tippo83

Hi Chaps.
I have three sets of Swift Bino's my first are a pair of "Skipper" my late
wife bought for me some were about sixty yrs ago, No1-693627. 7x50 my
favourite.
I also have a set of "Audubon" Mk2, 763099. given to me by a neighbour
and a set of Mod No,804, No,4- 6713094. bought at a junk market for £23,
it cost me much more than that to have them re calibrated or ?
I had my Skipper checked out by Sewells of Liverpool some thirty years
ago .
Also on the 804 looking from the front there are numbers on each side of
the centre hinge that look like J-E45 LH side J-B26. RH side.
On the "Skippers" LH, J-B2. RH, J-E46.
My favourite birds The "Barn Owl" and the "Buzzard" I have put a large
Owl box up at my daughters with no luck yet.
I love to watch the Buzzards soring on the thermals very satisfying.
Cheers
Tippo.

Hi Tippo,
All nice Japanese made binoculars, the Audubons give an excellent wide bright view, and the Skipper a very nice easy relaxed view, your Skipper was made by Katsuma Kogaku Kikai Co.Ltd, your model 804 by Futaba Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd. Your Audubon MK 11 probably by Hiyoshi Kogaku Co. Ltd, is it J-B56?.
Enjoy them.

Last edited:
Hi Bencw,
Pleased to make your acquaintance, no it is definitely J-b26.
I have had the eye glass on them they are in perfect order as far
as the lenses go but I think someone left them in the sun as they are
all blistered on the coating.
Thanks for answering .

Cheers
Tippo.

Hi Tippo,
All nice Japanese made binoculars, the Audubons give an excellent wide bright view, and the Skipper a very nice easy relaxed view, your Skipper was made by Katsuma Kogaku Kikai Co.Ltd, your model 804 by Futaba Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd. Your Audubon MK 11 probably by Hiyoshi Kogaku Co. Ltd, is it J-B56?.
Enjoy them.

Hi, Just purchased a near mint pair of Audubon Gold Ribbon. Serial number 810474,any idea when they were made I am thinking around 1985!!
Suppressor

Hi Suppresor

If I remember (and I don't always) I bought my Gold Ribbon in 1981, I also have a pair of Blue Ribbon that I think would you believe cost me 45 guineas in the early 70's.

best regards

Merlin

Hi Suppresor

If I remember (and I don't always) I bought my Gold Ribbon in 1981, I also have a pair of Blue Ribbon that I think would you believe cost me 45 guineas in the early 70's.

best regards

Merlin
Hi Merlin,
I take it you still have them?
I am impressed with the view and how clean they are on the inside after 35,years,spotless in fact.
I did buy a new pair of Swift Red ribbon Grand Prix 8x40s about 1974 and liked them.
Would like to buy a mint pair of Audubons one of the last before the 820s came out,might see a pair and day!!
suppressor.

Hi, Just purchased a near mint pair of Audubon Gold Ribbon. Serial number 810474,any idea when they were made I am thinking around 1985!!
Suppressor

Very nice find suppressor, I love Swifts, the Gold band Audubon is one of my favourites, I like it better than the later HR5 myself, it just feels nicer to use. They can suffer a bit with stray light in some conditions, I had two, one was fine, the other did have that problem. It was easily solved, the Audubon is easy to strip down and I just removed the prism cradles, and carefully matt blacked the inside, including the inside of the prism plates and the chrome nut's inside that hold the strap hangers, i'm a bit surprised that something so shiny is left inside them. It was perfect after that, really made a difference. I posted awhile back about my Storm King MK11, (link below) Ed told me that back in the day that was the most expensive in the Swift line up, you dont see them come up often, but worth looking out for, it gives stunning views, but it's a big heavy binocular, you would not want to lug it around for long.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=280566

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back