• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Dove (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Rock Dove
Columba livia
Rock Pigeon

Description 13 1/2" (34 cm). The common pigeon of towns and cities. Chunky, with short rounded tail. Typically bluish-gray with 2 narrow black wing bands and broad black terminal tail band; white rump. There are many color variants, ranging from all white through rusty to all black.

Habitat City parks, suburban gardens, and farmlands.

Nesting 2 white eggs in a crude nest lined with sticks and debris, placed on a window ledge, building, bridge, or cliff.

Range Native to Old World. Introduced and established in most of North America from central Canada southward.

Voice Soft guttural cooing.

Discussion: Everyone knows Rock Doves, or domestic pigeons, as city birds that subsist on handouts or country birds that nest in pigeon cotes on farms. Few have seen them nesting in their ancestral home-cliff ledges or high among rocks. Over the centuries, many strains and color varieties have been developed in captivity through selective breeding. Since pigeons have been accused of carrying human diseases, there have been several attempts to eradicate them from our cities, but they are so prolific that little progress has been made in this endeavor.

Mike

Attachments

• Rock Dove 2.JPG
    Rock Dove 2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Nice photo and I like that you used the "ancestral" Blue-barred color pattern in your selection. By the way, the AOU has finally changed its name to "Rock Pigeon".

Interesting leg tone when you look closely.The bird offers a nice drumstick.I can't comment on squab since I've never had it.Might give that some thought.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back