• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

Keys - name for the seeds of the ash, sycamore and another tree but can't remember it. The seeds have long extensions in one direction and resemble yale keys

Birdflower, thank you very much for the information regarding the woodpeckers. I don't travel far from where I live but I will be able to get up there OK, past the golf course I think. I saw quite an unusual site near the Friary in Beverley today actually which I might aswell mention here; a Heron being chased by two angry Jackdaws. I've never seen a Heron in Beverley before so it was quite a surprise, I guess they are venturing to new areas because of bad conditions maybe. Happy New Year anyway, and to all the birders on this thread!
Nick

Birdflower, thank you very much for the information regarding the woodpeckers. I don't travel far from where I live but I will be able to get up there OK, past the golf course I think. I saw quite an unusual site near the Friary in Beverley today actually which I might aswell mention here; a Heron being chased by two angry Jackdaws. I've never seen a Heron in Beverley before so it was quite a surprise, I guess they are venturing to new areas because of bad conditions maybe. Happy New Year anyway, and to all the birders on this thread!
Nick

Swinemoor on the eastern side of Beverley is great. Plenty of good birds there- had Great spot there. Regular Little Egrets, Heron, passage Wheatear, Yellow Wagtail, waders Inc Temminck's Stint & Wood Sandpiper and the odd scarcity. Reed Warblers breed along the river alongside various Sylvia warblers. Usually gets Garganey in spring and the chance if anything when there is a bit of water on.

I have to say I've been surprised by the recent close photos on Birdguides. I'm not saying that the photographer has done anything wrong, I'm just surprised given that the lay-by seems the nearest legal viewpoint. I'd have thought the person you saw was on private land though.

We actually went on 27th arriving approx 11.30 and parked near the cement works. The driving snow kept us in the car until we found a common Buzzard which encouraged us out scanning.

After scanning the fences for ages I suddenley picked the RL up sat fairly close in the company of Woodies. We didnt see it arrive so wondered if it had been on the deck. I took some record shots sat and in flight. We had two commons in the same area. It didnt come too close but was nice to watch for a length of time. After a while it drifted behind the small conifers and we lost it. We commented on the amount of shooting in the area - very noticeable with cars parked up behind the bird. Also Fallow stag on Reeds Island.

We went on to Far Ings which was frozen - only Sprawk and a busy bird table. Then returned to the layby where it was still present - another guy turned up with a camera so he had a look through the scope. We didnt stay long - tried a different layby as it was seemingly sat eating something in the middle of a field.

Then went to Worlaby Carr as my mate had 12+ SEO's when he went before the bad weather. We got only 1, 4 Common Buzzard and Kestrel as well as 3 Roe Deer.

All the best for the New Year!

Was going to Calder wetlands but seeing that the thaw had really set in, didn't fancy trying to find the ground between all the dog george's so instead went to Swillington to pay my subs for the year.
Astley lake almost totally frozen still but the reservoir beyond it was open so the ducks and geese were present if distant. Entered the hide to that annoying greeting, 'should have been here earlier' apparently there'd been a couple of bitterns seen out on the ice. Ah well at least the grey plover was still there so that was a welcome year tick. A pale morph buzzard was giving very good impressions of a perched osprey until it flew off following repeated mobbing by a group of crows. Then I found another buzzard flying in towards the lake, hang on it's coming in to land.... bggr me it wasn't a buzzard but a bittern! The bird stood for a while at the side of the reedbed before being absorbed by the stems. A brief second showing occured when the bird moved from one reedbed to an adjacent one. Finally got my bittern tick for the Aire Valley, I've dipped on this one so many times over the years. It was good talking to one of the regulars who told me that kingfishers were still around, and seemed to be in good fettle, so the cold spell hasn't seen them off so far.

Ok, so I`m over near Blackpool, Staining to be exact.. anyone know anywhere exciting to go bird-wise over here... I`d ask on the North West board, but i`m shy...

Only place I know of close to Blackpool is Brockholes Quarry just outside Preston. Large wetland area at side of Ribble. Not a nature reserve yet, opens early next year but a footpath crosses part of the reserve and you can walk along the banks of the Ribble as well. Access from roundabout at M6 / A59 junction, look for small signpost showing exit to quarry just before the South bound slip-road from M6.
Redhead smew reported there today.

Ok, so I`m over near Blackpool, Staining to be exact.. anyone know anywhere exciting to go bird-wise over here... I`d ask on the North West board, but i`m shy...

Marton Mere near Blackpool zoo has regular LEO's in winter roosting. There is also a drake Ring-necked Duck present. Head for the zoo and you can't miss it.

NB/ This is not the WWT reserve at Ormskirk, (Martin Mere).

Also Marshside RSPB not too far away on the outskirts of Southport. You can view through the large glass windows staying warm in the process - good for Merlin and Peregrine this time of year + Twite on the nearby dunes.

Was going to Calder wetlands but seeing that the thaw had really set in, didn't fancy trying to find the ground between all the dog george's so instead went to Swillington to pay my subs for the year.
Astley lake almost totally frozen still but the reservoir beyond it was open so the ducks and geese were present if distant. Entered the hide to that annoying greeting, 'should have been here earlier' .

The last time that was said to me down there was when I'd just cycled through a chilly cloudburst. When I asked why the reply was "it wasn't raining then".
Need to pop down to pay my subs but I'm starting with a chest infection, so hope it clears by the weekend as I've not had much birding for the last couple of weeks.

Rossal Point for waders
Leighton Moss for Bearded Tits, Bittern and Starling roost. Have snapped Mergansers on the Eric pools (ask at the centre)
Morecambe stone jetty for Purple Sandpipers
Marine Lake at Lytham St Annes can hold some interesting duck occasionally
Heysham Outflow for gulls
Marton Mere can be good, \as others have said

If you head to Marshside (my boyhood patch), then the area at the roundabout end is best for owls. The walk around the old sand factory for pipits, stonechat and kestrel. The far flooded fields at the golfcourse end for Pintail. You could also take in the Red Squirrels at Freshfield. Personally the sands at Ainsdale or Brikdale on a big tide are a personal favourite - easily a chance of seeing in excess of 100,000 birds if you time it right.

Last edited:
Rossal Point for waders
Leighton Moss for Bearded Tits, Bittern and Starling roost. Have snapped Mergansers on the Eric pools (ask at the centre)
Morecambe stone jetty for Purple Sandpipers
Marine Lake at Lytham St Annes can hold some interesting duck occasionally
Heysham Outflow for gulls
Marton Mere can be good, \as others have said

If you head to Marshside (my boyhood patch), then the area at the roundabout end is best for owls. The walk around the old sand factory for pipits, stonechat and kestrel. The far flooded fields at the golfcourse end for Pintail. You could also take in the Red Squirrels at Freshfield. Personally the sands at Ainsdale or Brikdale on a big tide are a personal favourite - easily a chance of seeing in excess of 100,000 birds if you time it right.

Thanks very much for the info Marcus. So much to see, so little time....
Going to take a trip to Marton Mere.. have been meaning to go there for a while, have heard good things... will let you know how I get on. Red Squirrels!! I NEED to go there... Bearded tits too... haven`t got a shot of those little beauties either...
Just had c1000 geese fly over my car on Chain Lane... awesome to see... think they were pink footed... could be wrong... i was driving so couldn`t get a shot... haven`t mastered the shooting/driving technique yet.. although i`m trying... ;)

Had lovely views of a water rail near the 'manx shearwater' lake at Pugneys this afternoon on what appears to be turning into my daily bike ride around here and Calders!! Clearly was hungry as I was only 25 feet away up on the path and it was not bothered by me at all, just got on with its feeding and bathing. Heard plenty over the years down here but cant recall seeing one at Pugneys. Made my day anyway. Not too much on the river today, no sign of Mergansers or Smew but did not venture too far up river. Also Redwing/Fieldfare numbers falling - moveing on to new pickings me thinks!

Clare, a site for Red Squiggle nearer than Freshfields used to be Mere Sands Wood LWT reserve. Not been for many years though. Freshfields NT reserve is stupidly good for tame squiggles although the light under the pine canopy isn't too good.

As Marcus said, Sefton Sands are great for waders on a big tide. Did a bit a cannon netting there when I used to live on the dark side. Guess which trainee ringer got the GBB ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back