Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 12:48   #1
forthbirder

guides in majorca

Hi. I'll be in Majorca in the first week in october, and as I don't drive, was wondering if anyone knew of any birding guides based on the island who could take me into the mountains to see the black vultures. Also, is there any chance of seeing bee eaters or elenora's falcon at this late time of year? Many thanks, Mark.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 13:18   #2
Rob Smallwood

I don't know about guides, but there should still be Eleanora's in the north.

Where are you staying? Both Eleanora's and BV's can often be seen from Puerto Pollenca or Cala San Vincente (the latter is very good for Balearic Warbler too).

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 14:39   #3
Alf King

Eleanora's should be easy to find in the North at this time of year. They breed late to coincide with Southerly migration so they will be feeding youg now and very active. They are normally seen regularly at S'Albufera which can be reached by bus. Alternatively you should see them from the Formentera lighthouse which can also be reached by an infrequent bus. I have had very good views from the "aquila track" out of Cala san Vicenc.

BV's are seen infrequently from Boquer Valley but the best place is Cuber Reservoir (Embalse de Cuber). I don't know if a bus runs along this road.

I am not aware of any Mallorcan guides as all of the sites are very well known and accessible, but not driving would be a major drawback. Have you checked out www.birdingpal.org ?
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 14:49   #4
Marmot

There is a BF member based in Mallorca called ESTEBANNIC he may know some one or even be able to give you some information. You could try a PM to him.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 15:05   #5
Rob Smallwood

BV's regularly move away from (I presume) their roost sites mid morning and can often be seen moving either east towards the Formentor or west towards Cuber from the roads around Old Pollenca or even Puerto Pollenca - Cuber is one of the famous sites (Lluc Monastery on the way another) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't connect without having to go into the Mountains - providing you are spending a reasonable amount of time in the area.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 15:25   #6
forthbirder

Majorca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smallwood
BV's regularly move away from (I presume) their roost sites mid morning and can often be seen moving either east towards the Formentor or west towards Cuber from the roads around Old Pollenca or even Puerto Pollenca - Cuber is one of the famous sites (Lluc Monastery on the way another) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't connect without having to go into the Mountains - providing you are spending a reasonable amount of time in the area.
Many thanks for the help Rob. Cheers, Mark
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 15:28   #7
forthbirder

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf King
Eleanora's should be easy to find in the North at this time of year. They breed late to coincide with Southerly migration so they will be feeding youg now and very active. They are normally seen regularly at S'Albufera which can be reached by bus. Alternatively you should see them from the Formentera lighthouse which can also be reached by an infrequent bus. I have had very good views from the "aquila track" out of Cala san Vicenc.

BV's are seen infrequently from Boquer Valley but the best place is Cuber Reservoir (Embalse de Cuber). I don't know if a bus runs along this road.

I am not aware of any Mallorcan guides as all of the sites are very well known and accessible, but not driving would be a major drawback. Have you checked out www.birdingpal.org ?
Many thanks for the advice. Cheers, Mark.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: