• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia/Singapore Trip IDs #1 - Raptors (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

I've just got back from a ten day visit to Malaysia (with a brief visit to Singapore) and as it's my first visit to the tropics / South-East Asia / Rainforest habitat etc there are a bunch of species I've been struggling to identify a bit - been working from "A Photographic Guide to the Birds of SouthEast Asia" but as it generally has room for only 1 or 2 photos per species, and not all of them are as clear as I would ideally like (and the same for my own photos) thought it best to run it by people a bit more familiar with the area.

There are probably 4 or so threads worth of IDs, starting in this case with raptors.

1 - I am fairly confident this is a Crested Goshawk - seen in a tree in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, being screamed at by House Crows.
2 - Seen in Central Malacca - juvenile White-Bellied Sea-Eagle?
3 - Seen circling a valley in the Genting Highlands - I think Blythe's Hawk-Eagle?
4 - A pair seen in the Genting Highlands again, seemed to be the same species as each other, but not sure if enough to go on to identify?
5 - Taken from a moving car between Kuala Lumpur and Malacca - was a large bird - from the shape I think Crested Serpent Eagle?

Attachments

• crested goshawk.JPG
    crested goshawk.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 41
  • eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 35
  • raptor 1.JPG
    raptor 1.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 41
  • raptor2.JPG
    raptor2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
  • raptor3.JPG
    raptor3.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back