• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longhorn Beetle ? (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I photographed this fine beast two days ago in Lithuania. My best guess is that it is a longhorn beetle of some form, but I would welcome expert opinion on its ID.

Stuart

Attachments

• beetle1.jpg
    beetle1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 92
  • beetle2.jpg
    beetle2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 123
StuartReeves said:
I photographed this fine beast two days ago in Lithuania. My best guess is that it is a longhorn beetle of some form, but I would welcome expert opinion on its ID.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,
I suspect there are far more Longhorn Beetle species in Europe than here in Britain. I tried Googling 'Longhorn Beetles' and got 5050 hits but very little information on European species, most of the sites were north American. I haven't looked at all of them, but if no one can come up with an ID, it may pay you to fill in a rainy day by doing a 'Google' yourself and having a look.

Harry.

Many thanks to Harry, David and our anonymous Baltic correspondent for the help with this one. Prior to Harry's comment I had forgotten just what a large and diverse group the beetles are, which makes it really quite remarkable that this admittedly rather spectacular individual has been identified within 24 hours.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back