• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Lochwinnoch (1 Viewer)

Whokens

I am thinking of heading to Lochwinnoch tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any helpful advice on the best places at the reserve or is it just a case of walking around and seeing what is there. Many thanks Paul

Depends I you have a Scoop or only binoculars.
There is a path going from the visitorcentre to otherside of the road about 100 meters along Barr Loch. Here you have great views over the Barr loch and especially with Telescoop you can find some nice ducks etc. Also with only Binoculars you still can see some nice waterfowl.

From the Visitorcentre have a look at the feeders. Almost everytime you have chance to see something nice like Brambling, Great spotted woodpecker, siskins, Reed buntings etc.

From the visitorcentre there is also a walking path going along Aird meadow. There is a Hide half way which provide close up views over the Aird meadow for ducks. Along the path good chance to hear the first Chiffchaff. There is a little fee for the path which is if I remember me correctly 3 pounds for non members and Free for Members.

From the visitorcentre you can also look over the Aird meadow and you can use there Binoculars or Scoop to have a look from the visitorcentre over the meadow.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited:
Bear in mind there are improvement works ongoing at Lochwinnoch at present and when I was there a couple of weeks ago, it had an impact on one of the smaller trails (Dubbs trail, I think). The views at the visitor centre aren't as appealing as normal, but the feeders there are usually busy, and even more so the ones on the path to the right of the centre.

When you're in the centre, look at the sightings board and the staff are usually helpful over what to look for.

If you have access to a car you might like a trip a little further up the road to Leperstone reservoir as there is a Lesser Scaup there - as found by Caledonian / Rik, above. Happy to provide directions if you want to PM me.

Thank you all for taking the time too reply, i have passed the area many times on the train and so today i thought i would get off the train and have a look around.

I only have binoculars and not the greatest at that, but it is more for pictures and just to see somewhere knew for me this time., Paul

Well i went and i had not too bad a day,, the need for a scope was the thing i noticed the most,, my binoculars, were not up to the job.
I saw plenty of birds,, nothing i could not have seen a lot closer to me,, but it was a nice peaceful place to have a walk around.
I managed to get a few decent pictures and that made my day worthwhile.

The centre itself is staffed with very helpful people and made you welcome.

There was a lot of work going on and i am sure in the long term, these improvements will improve the place even more.

Now after buying a Canon 400mm lens,, i now know my next purchase will be a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back