• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help Please (1 Viewer)

cavamarie

Hello, I just registered for this forum so perhaps someone would be able to identify a bird that Ive seen here. Im in mid-Florida on a farm in a very rural area. Unfortunately I dont have a picture, but he's fairly simply marked. He has a black topknot similar to a cardinal but not as pronounced. His back and wings are a dark slate grey. His belly is very buff. It has been suggested a tufted titmouse, but he's much darker, and blockier. Now I cant remember if the dark topknot is just the topknot or his whole head. Im thinking its his whole head. Ive scanned all the online bird ID sites I can find, and I just cant find this little guy anywhere. Any ideas here? Maybe he's a young something. He's rather vocal, goes peep......peep.....peep..... Thanks.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to Birdforum. I can't help with the ID I'm afraid but we do have quite a few members from the USA so someone may be able to assist you.

Hi, I'm a new member & just happened upon your post. I'm willing to bet you've got some species of flycatcher there. They often raise the feathers on their heads to form a small crest. Did it have any wing bars or eye rings? I'm thinking (depending on size of bird & color of belly) either an Eastern phoebe or great crested flycatcher. Check out photos of those 2 & see what you think......

Thanks so much, Jennifer. An Eastern Phoebe is what I came up with also. He's been hanging out a lot, but hasnt get gotten to my bird feeders. He's cute as a bug, tho. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Glad I could help! I doubt you'll see that 1 at your feeders, unless you put out mealworms, because they're strictly insect-eaters, as far as I know. Hmmm, wonder if a phoebe will go after suet like the pine & yellow-rumped warblers will?

On 2nd thought (or is it 3rd thought), I doubt they would go for suet, either. If anyone here knows differently, I hope they correct me on it! Either way, glad you got an ID on the cutie! I presume it's a lifer for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back