• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beinn Eighe National Nature reserve (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I was watching a Cameron McNeish programme tonight on BBC2 Scotland about the new national trail that traverses Scotland from south east to north west. Part of the route took him through Beinn Eighe NNR and I thought it looked stunning. The warden Dick Balharry has been working there for years and I couldn't help but wish I was there as I watched it.

I've been up that area years ago with school when we walked up Beinn Alligin, but I was wondering if anyone has been up that way recently and what it's like for wildlife? I'd be keen to go exploring in the area, not just for birds, but looking out for plantlife as we.

I've passed by a few times, but never really stopped to explore properly.

There's quite a lot of information in the Opus article. Hope it helps.

Cheers Delia, I'll check it out. I've been meaning to visit Sandwood Bay for years as well, so I might book myself a week up that way in 2013.

We didn't quite make it to Sandwood Bay. We parked at Blairmore and walked along the path for a way but the weather wasn't too good (well most of that holiday it was pretty foul!), so we came back again and just made it to the car as the heavens opened!

It was a super programme and I bet a few folk thought of dusting off their boots and heading on one of the trails/walks.I met Dick In the 1980s,when he was with the old NNR and was a nice,helpful man.

Glen Tilt also looked fantastic and would be a more realistic target for me to visit.However Beinn Eighe Is very tempting and even more so,after last night.

Would love to see more programmes like that on TV.

I think a search on i-player is on the cards.

Rich

Nothing bird related Rich but some superb scenery and although the camera's never picked anything up,there is good wildlife In the areas covered.I'm sure If you watch It,It shall get you In the mood for coming back up here again.

Nothing bird related Rich but some superb scenery and although the camera's never picked anything up,there is good wildlife In the areas covered.I'm sure If you watch It,It shall get you In the mood for coming back up here again.

Can't remember if it was the first or second programme, but there were a couple of red kites shown in Perthshire, although they weren't named.

We didn't quite make it to Sandwood Bay. We parked at Blairmore and walked along the path for a way but the weather wasn't too good (well most of that holiday it was pretty foul!), so we came back again and just made it to the car as the heavens opened!

I suppose that's just the way things are in that part of the world. I've been up that way twice (to Gairloch) when I was in school, it easily alternated between glorious sunshine and squally rain.

I would imagine that Sandwood Bay would be some sight during a storm though...

Cheers all. I love the planning stage of trips. We'll be back up at the end of March for a couple of weeks - can't wait!! Thanks for the link to the programmes JT.

Rich

I have walked to Sandwood Bay twice in last 4 years. From the car park its about a 4.5 mile walk there but to be honest the walk there is quite bland. Its fairly easy to walk not steep at all and there is a good path to Sandwood Bay. Nature wise when I have been there in March the wildlife was not that great either

However once you walk along the path turn a corner and get your first view of Sandwood Bay everything is worth the walk. Simply stunning views down to the Bay and once you get to the beach, the sand is beautiful. The beach is in lovely condition and the perfect place to take plenty of photo

take time to enjoy the silence and the bay, one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland. I am hoping to go again in March this year, it is that good.

I suppose that's just the way things are in that part of the world. I've been up that way twice (to Gairloch) when I was in school, it easily alternated between glorious sunshine and squally rain.

I would imagine that Sandwood Bay would be some sight during a storm though...

It is worth climbing Liathach, views are superb. Done it a couple of times-once in a howling gale and torrential rain.

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back