• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clena start in DSLR: Canon or Nikon (1 Viewer)

I have been playing around with a Nikon Coolpix 4500. Very nice gadget but I start running into its limitations more often these days.
I now have the opportunity to start brand new. No history in lenses etc. Trying to make up my mind whether it should be Nikon D70 or Canon 20D.
Major use will be nature: landscape, macro, birding.
Looking for advise on why the one camera could be prefered over the other. Any clues, ideas, thoughts etc are very welcome indeed.
Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul
I too am trying to make up my mind as to whether or not the Canon is worth the extra money (£400). Having read reviews of both cameras there does not seem too much between them and as I am a relative beginer to bird photography unless someone has a good reason to change my mind I think I am going for the Nikon. It seems to be a fantastic camera and I have seen it available at www.dabs.com at £740 including the 18 - 70 lens - which should allow me to buy a long lens to go with it.

Hi, Paul and Doug.

First of all, I'd say that with either camera, you'll get great results, as long as you choose good lenses that meet your needs.

Six weeks ago I was in the same spot that you're in, trying to decide between the D70 and the 20D. I'd never had any Canon gear and my Nikon kit is all manual, with 200mm the longest lens, not good for birding.

Like you, I did my research, which was a bit challenging as all the Canon reviews were on the preliminary model. The D70 had a great track record and my D100 friends love their cameras. I love my FM3A, which is lightweight and straightforward to use. However, in the end I decided to buy the 20D, even though it was costlier. Some of the reasons:

8.2 MP provides a bit more image quality when you need to crop an image, which I frequently need to do with bird photos.

Initial reviews indicated that the 20D is a bit sturdier than the D70. Also it has some nice control features that I like, such as the thumb wheel and the small toggle. Overall, use seems a bit more intuitive.

Now, the big issue for me: the lenses. I reviewed and reviewed the listings of lenses made by Nikon and Canon. Overall, it seemed that Canon had more choices of lenses for birders who are "middle class" like me and probably can't afford to plop down $5000 to $7000 for a chunk of glass. In the $600 to $1500 range, there are a good number of prime and zoom lenses appropriate for wildlife photography, many of them image-stabilized, which I've found to be very helpful for birding as I often do it.

Given the costs involved in shifting to DSLR, I realized I could only afford one good lens at a time, so I decided that a 100-400mm or 80-400mm zoom would have to be the starting point, with eventual additions as I could afford them. Again, I looked at reviews that indicated that the Canon 100-400 was a bit sturdier and yielded slightly higher image quality than the Nikon. I think this was the clincher in making the Canon decision.

Another point - there are a lot more Canon birders, so advice on equipment issues is easier to come by.

Did I make the right decision? Well, I'm happy with the results I'm starting to get and know that as I learn to use the camera better, I'll improve. Would I have been as happy with the Nikon? Maybe....at least I wouldn't have been unhappy!

So that's a summary of my weeks of mulling over this decision.

Paul, I would recommend that you keep your 4500 for macro work, and then you can put off buying a macro lens until later. I had a 5000 that I've since passed on to my birding buddy, but I intend to borrow it now and then for close-up work. I found the macro image quality to be excellent and the camera is much lighter and easier to use than a large SLR, of course. You can keep it in your pocket without any inconvenience.

Best of luck to both of you in making your decisions.
Ingrid

pvdbogaard said:
I have been playing around with a Nikon Coolpix 4500. Very nice gadget but I start running into its limitations more often these days.
I now have the opportunity to start brand new. No history in lenses etc. Trying to make up my mind whether it should be Nikon D70 or Canon 20D.
Major use will be nature: landscape, macro, birding.
Looking for advise on why the one camera could be prefered over the other. Any clues, ideas, thoughts etc are very welcome indeed.
Thanks
Paul

Paul: You've had some sensible advice. Ingrid is correct to say that Canon have some mid-price zoom lenses that Nikon don't. I think she is thinking of the 17-40 F4 and 70-210 F4 zooms that are ~£600 a piece. These are said to be excellent lenses, and very appealing to the non-pro who wants pro-quality at non-pro prices. I wish Nikon had something like that.

However, there are some advantages to Nikon. (Bear in mind that I use Nikon and have no direct experience of Canon. So my knowledge is second had, or pre-enjoyed as the salesmen might say.)

Nikon wide angle primes tend to be better than Canon. The Canon 20mm prime seems to be poor going by reviews. The Canon 28mm F2.8 is so-so. The Nikon 20mm F2.8 AFD is excellent and the Nikon 28mm F2.8 AIS is one of the all time great 28mm lenses.

Nikon have a modestly priced 200mm macro lens and Canon don't. (The Nikon 200mm F4 AIS lens is ~£700.) Then again, the Tamron 180mm macro is said to be first rate and ~£600.

Quite a lot of Canon users make derogatory remarks about Canon flash. It seems that the Nikon flash system is easier to use. See Photo Net and PhotoZone.

There are lot's of old Nikon lenses available at low prices. So if you want a 300mm F4.5 lens there's plenty of bargains about.

However, Nikon as yet do not have as many IS/VR lenses as Canon, which might be a factor. And there is quite a bit of confusion as to which Nikon lenses will work fully on which bodies. Some new lenses cannot really be used on old bodies.

Why not take a look at each camera and see if either appeals more than the other? Some people criticise the Nikon view finder.

I'm sure both are excellent choices.

Of course you could go for Minolta and get image stabilisation with EVERY lens!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back