• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making a multi selection (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I'm no expert on all the facets of Photoshop so apologies if this might be fairly obvious to some.
I am reasonably familiar with using the magnetic lasso tool (with CS5) to make a selection of a particular object.
However I am currently trying to use the same tool to select two or more objects on the same image.
The problem I seem to have is that having selected one object that selection vanishes when I then try to continue and move the lasso tool onto a second object.
I'm guessing I need to somehow save the first selection or alternatively be using layers to allow this (which I'm not at present).
As I've said I still have a lot to learn with Photoshop so any advice on workflow or how best to select two to more objects is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming CS5 is the same as CS2:

You've two options, and they can be used with other selection tools as well.

The quick way is hold down the Shift Key after each selection. If you intend making a few selections, you can just click on the "Add to selection" icon in the options bar at the top. Just hover over each icon for descriptive text telling you what they do

Thanks for the information Chris, much appreciated.
Despite browsing through a very large volume on Photoshop I still couldn't see a reference to using the Shift Key as you mention.
Have now tried this and glad to say it's solved the issue.

Thanks once again.

Assuming CS5 is the same as CS2:

You've two options, and they can be used with other selection tools as well.

The quick way is hold down the Shift Key after each selection. If you intend making a few selections, you can just click on the "Add to selection" icon in the options bar at the top. Just hover over each icon for descriptive text telling you what they do

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back