• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sun shade (2 Viewers)

Reader

I have the Coolpix 990. Which do you think is the best sunshade to buy and where is the best place to buy them? I struggled in the sunshine yesterday and missed a lot of shots because of it.

As more sunny days are hopefully approaching the time has come for me to purchase one, but which one?

I need some help and advice guys.

I use the Xtend-a-View from Eagle Eye with my 885. It has a 2x mag and although the image can be a bit pixelated it is a must for sunny days. It will set you back about £40, but it saves a lot of frustration.

Robin

I use the Xtend-a-view, but Iztok's suggestion isn't as wacky as it sounds....several digiscopers cover their head with some dark cloth. You'll get plenty of laughs if nothing else 3:)
Andy

Xtend-a-view for me too, but you can get it for a tenner cheaper by ordering it from the USA.

The cheapo plastic slide viewers such as those from Jessops for about two quid work just as well, but don't look as swish !

What I want to know is where was the sun out - because we haven't seen it for a decade up here - can you get rain shields?

JohnJ
try www.7dayshop.com they do sunshads for digital cameras i think they even do one a x2 screen i also use a extenda view x2 it realy is very good if expensive, maybe IanF could tell where to get one in america as its cheaper

Thanks for all the info. I have saved the 7 dayshop.com into my favourites and will look at it tomorrow.

Ian

If you can tell me the site you got your shade from I would be grateful.

A little kids baseball cap with the actual hat part cut off and use the small visor.. I do not but a friend does and it is cracker!

Ragna and John,

I picked the Mini version up from Photosolve
Ordered Friday evening and arrived first thing the following Tuesday - all the way from California for $30 +p&p - now that is service.

Pete

Once the sun is out you virtually see nothing in your monitor. Therefore what ever you are taking you can't see. That being the case there will be many shots missed because of it. I had experience of that today. The only place where I could get any shots was whilst I had the sun behind me. It obliterated everything on the monitor and I ended up taking no bird shots at all.

Hi Pete,

I find that I can still see the monitor by shading with with my hands or having the scope set lower on the tripod by blocking the sun with my body.
What I found is that just looking at the monitor you think you have it correctly focused, but when you download the photos, they are slightly out because the depth of field is so narrow. Without the shade I was taking multiple shots varying the focus slightly each time, which does work but is a pain to do, as you should be concentrating on the best pose.
Using the shade I find results are much more consistent as the 2x magnification really helps to get exact focus more consistently.

Ian

I eventually ordered the sun shade from Photosolve a couple of days ago. At $35 including p&p that has to be a great deal. I am awaiting its arrival. Hopefully it should improve my shots on sunny days.

Ian

I have received, and fitted, the extend a view sun shade. Thanks a million for that info.

Isn't it incredible that you have to pay nealy £34 for virtually the same product over here when you can buy it for almost half that price in America. The post is dearer over here as well. Just shows you that in a lot of cases we haven't got our prices right.

I've now had a good look at the Photosolve site and I think I may be ordering one of the Xtend-a-view shades, even though I have a non-magnifying shade from 7-dayshop.

I also noticed that they have the OpticZoom 5x lens that EagleEye Optics sells here. It works out a lot cheaper than getting it in the UK, depending how much they charge for postage. If ordering the sun shade is cheaper, even taking postage into account, then this could be too.

I haven't seen the postage charges for any of their items. It appears to be one of those sites where you can't find out the price of shipping without almost completing the order. I don't normally order from sites that do this, but as others have had no problem, I think I will go ahead. I want to have a test of the 5x lens first though before ordering it. A friend of mine has offered to let me try his. First, I need my camera back from Nikon!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back