• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magnification and Objective diameter (1 Viewer)

grbrown

I am thinking of buying a large objective (82mm) scope and trying to decide what magnification eyepieces to buy with it, for mainly distance viewing at reservoirs, estuaries and the like.

I reckon there are two conditions to consider. Bright daylight will enable a relatively high power to be used, whereas evening or cloudy conditions will need lower power, to maintain good visibility.

It is difficult trying out scopes in all conditions before buying one, so what power eyepieces do experienced users use and what would you recommend I buy?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Graham. ;)

I use a 90mm scope to view Loons and such on the lake from the beach at our camp, and for birding off my back deck. I generally use an eyepiece yielding 64x, although sometimes things are steady enough for 94x. If you are viewing across a long distance or a lot of hot sand, you may find even 64x is pushing the steadiness of the air - but someone with more experience in that type of viewing might well have good advice. (Most of my viewing is over water or grass.)

I don't do much twilight, low power terrestrial scope viewing, so I'll leave that entirely to someone else.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back