• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica eye relief? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
can anyone tell me the eyerelief of the current 8x32 bn models,can't seem to find the gen anywhere?

would also like to know if they were improved on over the old ba's.

matt

matt green said:
can anyone tell me the eyerelief of the current 8x32 bn models,can't seem to find the gen anywhere?

would also like to know if they were improved on over the old ba's.

matt
They have an ER of 13mm and they are slightly smaller and lighter than the BA's. They also focus closer, 7.2'

gr8fuldoug said:
They have an ER of 13mm and they are slightly smaller and lighter than the BA's. They also focus closer, 7.2'
If you wear eyeglasses, the 8X32 Leica's will fall short. If that 13mm had been 17mm+, I would have bought an 8X32 Trinovid the first time I put one to my eyes. I also like the ergonomics of the 8X32 Trinovid better than the Ultravid 8X32 (which also has short eye relief!).
John

John Traynor said:
If you wear eyeglasses, the 8X32 Leica's will fall short. If that 13mm had been 17mm+, I would have bought an 8X32 Trinovid the first time I put one to my eyes. I also like the ergonomics of the 8X32 Trinovid better than the Ultravid 8X32 (which also has short eye relief!).
John

although I don't wear glasses the short eye relief was a problem on an
old ba 8x32 I once owned,because the eye is closer to the occuler lense
they tended to steam up very quickly in humid weather.

was kinda hoping the current bn models had improved eye relief..sadly not!

the 7/8x42 model bn would be my current first choice at present.

matt

gr8fuldoug said:

The latest Leica brochure I have suggests 14.6mm for the Trinovid 8 x 32 BN, whilst the same 8x32 in an Ultravid is given at 13.3mm.

PYRTLE said:
The latest Leica brochure I have suggests 14.6mm for the Trinovid 8 x 32 BN, whilst the same 8x32 in an Ultravid is given at 13.3mm.
In any case, the Leica 8X32's will leave most eyeglass wearers short on FOV.

I (just barely, but comfortably) manage to see the full field of view through my Leica 8x32 BA and manage the same with the 8x32 Ultravids despite their respective 14 and 13 mm eye reliefs so I wouldn't give up on them without trying them. In contrast, I cannot comfortably see the whole field through my Nikon 8x30 EII (13 mm) or my Eagle Optics 8x32 Platinum Ranger (16 mm). Generally I prefer 18 mm.

Alexis Powell said:
I (just barely, but comfortably) manage to see the full field of view through my Leica 8x32 BA and manage the same with the 8x32 Ultravids despite their respective 14 and 13 mm eye reliefs so I wouldn't give up on them without trying them. In contrast, I cannot comfortably see the whole field through my Nikon 8x30 EII (13 mm) or my Eagle Optics 8x32 Platinum Ranger (16 mm). Generally I prefer 18 mm.

Do manufacturers measure this distance differently? (Perhaps one is measuring from the lens itself while others measure from the edge of the eyecup?) Why would it be that you can see the full FOV on a Leica with 13 or so mm of ER while you cannot from a different binocular with a full 18mm of ER?

Alexis Powell said:

I have a pair of 8x32BNs and wear spectacles (varifocals), I get the full field with a little in hand and can pull back a mm or so before the field starts to contract. Only problem I get is a bit of yellow fringing on birds against sky if I don't centre up correctly, which is quite hard with glasses as you haven't got the locating action of the eye in the eye cup.

I haven't had any problem with seeing the full FOV in WA binoculars. I just move my eyes around. I thought everyone did.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back