• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jessops match grey import prices (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

While comparing website prices, I came across www.microglobe.co.uk, a self-confessed handler of grey-imported Nikon equipment, selling lenses for substantially less than Warehouse Express etc. Being skeptical about warranty arrangements I called Warehouse Express to see if they would price-match, and they refused. Later I happened to be in my local Jessops store to see if they had any good used lenses (apparently not any more), and in passing I said "I don't suppose you could price match with this company?" and showed them the print-out of Microglobe's prices. The sales assistant made a quick phone call, and then said "Yep, no problem". Blimey! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Fully UK-warrantied lenses for grey-import prices, plus the convenience of dealing with a local high-street shop. Bargain.

So if you're in the market for a Nikon prime, I'd recommend that you check the price at Microglobe and then nip along the road to Jessops! There's not much saving to be made on zooms for some reason (apart from £300 off the 17-35mm), but the primes seem to be much cheaper right across the Microglobe range.

so for a 300mm f4 + 1.7tc:
Microglobe £1058
Jessops £1250 becomes £1058 if price match (£200 drop!)
Warehouse Express £1095

£37 saving by buying from local store...not bad...mmm...I wonder if all branches of Jessops would do that ?

There are even better deals to be had if you rummage around - although I mentioned that most of the zooms were normal price, this one stood out as a good deal:

17-35mm f2.8 AFS

Jessops list price: £1349.99
Warehouse Express: £1120.00
Jessops after price-matching with Microglobe: £999.00

spacebug said:
so for a 300mm f4 + 1.7tc:
Microglobe £1058
Jessops £1250 becomes £1058 if price match (£200 drop!)
Warehouse Express £1095
Kea Photo on eBay, who I can recommend offer a white 300/4 AF-S and a TC17, the lens has a 3 yr warranty.
With delivery its £756.95 a further 25% off. They also guarantee no import duty / tax which appears to work as well.
I registered the lens with Nikon UK and they accept the serial number
Steve

Last edited:
Does your estimate include the mandatory shipping insurance at £14? I don't see any mention of guaranteed no VAT/duty on their item pages. Just an offer to mark goods as 'gift' which from experience is no guarantee. HM Customs aren't stupid!

Duke Leto said:
Kea Photo on eBay, who I can recommend offer a white 300/4 AF-S and a TC17, the lens has a 3 yr warranty.
With delivery its £756.95 a further 25% off, this is where I got mine from at a similar price. They also guarantee no import duty / tax which appears to work as well.
I registered the lens with Nikon UK and they accept the serial number
Steve

Martin have a look at item 200053582043 and believe me it doesn't come through as a gift even if the eBay page states that, I can vouch for that, I and a few friends have used them and have been extremely happy with there service. If your not sure give them a call there more than happy to have a chat. To my knowledge a number of bodies and lenses have all been supplied from this seller with no issue. Digital Rev also offer the same service.
Forgot to add, 4 days from order placement to delivery is some service.....
Postal insurance included....
Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back