• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

woo hoo, past the thousand mark, and unfortunately my afternoon birding didn't produce any sketches. I took the bike out now I've realised my tripod fits in my backpack, and discovered how very unfit I am that I was knackered cycling on the flat. Freezing conditions, 3 coots and a domestic greylag have moved closer to town, no sign of wallcreepers. On holiday now, yay, so must try and get plenty done.

Went out birding again today on the bike, this time the effort was worth it. First the ducks: more tufites than I've ever seen on the river - 21 of them. Plus a 1W male red-breasted merganser, quite a rarity here, though two have been wintering on some gravel pits about 15km away, pushed onto the river by the ice I suppose. There's a little comparison with a goosander, and for the hopelessly id challenged, a mistle thrush to compare with the tufties!

Later on the frost had started to melt around the allotments, and a few birds were beginning to feed, I nearly fell off my bike as I checked out two in a tree, two gorgeous rock buntings. This species used to breed on the rocky slopes behind this area, but had long disappeared, here's hoping they stay. Also, even more important to me perhaps were two dunnocks, believe it or not, a tick on my French list. (They are VERY shy here!) Behind all this were no less than 28 magpies together in the tops of a few trees, at one point a fieldfare landed next to them.

Attachments

• croquis 001.jpg
    croquis 001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 90
  • croquis 002.jpg
    croquis 002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 97
  • croquis 003.jpg
    croquis 003.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 93
  • croquis 004.jpg
    croquis 004.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 89
  • croquis 005.jpg
    croquis 005.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 105
and as if all that wasn't enough, the wallcreeper put on a show aswell:

the sketch of it looking up is completely overworked and quite hideous now, but I'll be able to use it to do a painting of the bird creeping on the rocks behind some branches.

Attachments

• croquis 006.jpg
    croquis 006.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 98
  • croquis 007.jpg
    croquis 007.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 96
  • croquis 008.jpg
    croquis 008.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 95
  • port douvot 018wallcreeper.JPG
    port douvot 018wallcreeper.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 101
  • port douvot 020small.JPG
    port douvot 020small.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 105
Tufties done, going to work on the peregrine now, and if time a wallcreeper. Not planning on late night painting, want to get out in the morning to check for some more rock buntings.

Attachments

• morillons.jpg
    morillons.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 109
here's a peregrine, I left this one ages as I was scared of ruining it, I'm quite pleased with the result (for once!):eek!:

Attachments

• DSCF4664.JPG
    DSCF4664.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 107
here's a peregrine, I left this one ages as I was scared of ruining it, I'm quite pleased with the result (for once!):eek!:

All I will say is wow.... stunning set of fieldwork, love that first wallcreeper. Magpies are a triumph by the way, Peregrine is a mindblower.
...all that remains my boty is a Merry Xmas too you and all the best for 2008. Your work this year has been an inspiration...

Another echo here regarding inspirational work. Your magpies are my favorite.
They remind me of an artist from the mid-1900's, Walter Anderson, who is up there for me as one of my absolute favorites. I added a link for one of his pieces that is a study of frigate birds. There are a few studies of blackbirds that I couldn't find images of which would have made the association more apparent, but I think this one gives an idea of why the magpies reminded me of this artist.
Really love your stuff, Nick.

http://www.walterandersonmuseum.org/birds.htm

Thanks for the link Beth, I wasn't familiar with this artist and I'm very glad you pointed him out, like his work a lot.

Here's my latest output, keeping busy, rock buntings and a dunnock (at last!) and a wallcreeper behind a tree, lots still to do, next one, the magpies....

Attachments

• xmas07 018.jpg
    xmas07 018.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 92
  • xmas07 021.jpg
    xmas07 021.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 100
Well, that wallcreeper must be about the size of a black woodpecker there, so he had to be buried under a bit of collage and painted over! Here he is again in his new incarnation, that I like a lot more, feels a bit more like actually watching them (they ARE small!) First with flash, second without.

Also, couldn't be a*sed spending ages fretting over the magpies, so I banged them out in a sort of "Picasso did it" sort of mood.

Attachments

• xmas07 025.jpg
    xmas07 025.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 98
  • xmas07 026.jpg
    xmas07 026.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 90
  • xmas07 024.jpg
    xmas07 024.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 90
Especially like the rock buntings - its got that abstracty feel again to it. Do you think this is the sort of work that would be accepted for the swla? and what do folks think about the importance of working to become a member of the society. Is it something you need to do in order to further a career in wildlife painting?

not a lot of sketching done today, but couldn't resist this Mandarin, bit of a surprise!

Attachments

• mandarin.jpg
    mandarin.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 95
love the buntings and, man, love the magpies a whole lot.
And of course the wall creeper is very nice.

Wendy, do you mean working towards becoming a more prominent member of society? Donating time and work and things like that?

love the buntings and, man, love the magpies a whole lot.
And of course the wall creeper is very nice.

Wendy, do you mean working towards becoming a more prominent member of society? Donating time and work and things like that?

Not exactly- I was talking about the time and effort needed to be put in to become a member in the first place. I can't remember now what it entails but I think it involves having work accepted for several years and then being proposed by another member. My feeling is that for someone with Nicks talent it would be worth the effort and cost! but I could be wrong- are there well known successful bird artists out there who did not at some time become a member of the society???

Plenty, Wendy. I don't think Lars Jonsson or Killian Mullarney are members (I could be wrong though). But I do think it's worthwhile pursuing it - and I think you have the selection process pretty much correct there, too. It seems that some people get in quicker than others though - which is true throughout life, I suppose.

According to the SWLA website, Lars and Killian aren't members (don't think they'd need to be), nor are such names as Alan Harris, James McCallum and John Threlfall (though John can't be far off with 6 works accepted this year, most of which had sold and the Birdwatch Artist of the Year). There are also many people whom I've never heard of and whose work I don't know that are members. Some of whose work just doesn't 'fit' in my eyes.
It's something that I'd like to be on the inside of. Whether it's worth the effort or not, I don't know. For me it wasn't much effort submitting last year, it was my parents that had to make four round trips to London for it, what with me being an ex-pat and all that. (Submitting work, collecting unaccepted work, going to the exhibition, collecting unsold work). Plus the cost is abhorrent, I luckily only paid £40 for each frame, which made a total cost of £300 with the submission fees. I sold one picture for £550, which after they'd taken thir 53% commission left me with what I would have originally charged for it. That's the thing I really despised, just to break even I had to double my usual prices. I'd never dream of charging £700 for a painting - it's a ridiculous amount. But then there was a pencil drawing of two snow leopards that had sold for something like £19,000!!!! Question, How do these people sleep at night? Answer, On a big pile of money.
Enough of me pointlessly rambling now, got to try and find a recipe for ginger cake and take my Saturday afternoon meds (a pint or two)!

PS Went sketching this morning, but I forgot how to draw, so there's a tentative idea for a collage of some goosanders flying over their reflections - but they ain't easy at that angle!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back