• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird/Wildlife location help Please (1 Viewer)

Ray.Scott

I'm coming down to North Devon, near Bude for a week starting 2nd Oct, 2010.
Would appreciate some advice on any popular bird/wildlife locations, within approx, 50 mile radius of Holsworthy and possible species expected to see, for the time of year.
I'd be expecting to spend about 3 days of break watching/photographing birds etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and a good nearby pub/meal house wouldn't go amiss either:eat:.

Hi Scuzz, loads of places within this radius... to be honest possibly too many to post, bear in mind with local roads a 50 radius could take you several hours to negotiate!

Hi Scuzz, loads of places within this radius... to be honest possibly too many to post, bear in mind with local roads a 50 radius could take you several hours to negotiate!

Thanks for the reply; I'm searching Google etc for nearby RSPB's and nature reserves etc in the area. I was just hoping for some advise on a couple of the more popular locations, if any, within the area.

Hi Ray, I do all my birding around the Taw/Torridge estuaries in North Devon. My main spots are: Skern on Northam burrows, Instow, Isley Marsh RSPB (Spoonbills almost certain) Fremington Quay, Barnstaple along the Tarka trail,and Braunton Burrows.
Wader numbers should start to build up nicely in October. Nearer to Bude is Tamer lakes which have a couple of hides and well worth a visit.
Give me a shout if you need anymore info Ray.

Forgot to mention Hartland Point/Quay for sea watching Ray - very near to Bude.

Cheers Roy:t:.
Should be enough to keep me occupied for 2 or 3 days of my visit, weather permitting.
I'll let you know how I get on, and hopefully report any findings on my return.
Is there a possibility of seeing any Chough If I was to travel further South?.

Many thanks. Ray.

Cheers Roy:t:.
Should be enough to keep me occupied for 2 or 3 days of my visit, weather permitting.
I'll let you know how I get on, and hopefully report any findings on my return.
Is there a possibility of seeing any Chough If I was to travel further South?.

Many thanks. Ray.
Never seen a chough myself Ray although there could be some in deepest Cornwall.
Over the past couple of weeks we have had Buff Sand, Great White Egret, Curlew Sand, Spoonbill, little stint, Osprey, Wryneck and Red throated Diver to name but a few so plenty of stuff around, its just a case of finding it LOL.

Best of luck

Never seen a chough myself Ray although there could be some in deepest Cornwall.
Over the past couple of weeks we have had Buff Sand, Great White Egret, Curlew Sand, Spoonbill, little stint, Osprey, Wryneck and Red throated Diver to name but a few so plenty of stuff around, its just a case of finding it LOL.

Best of luck

Cheers Roy,
Looking at your site, you've managed to catch up with some, well done :t:.
It's been pretty much the same up here, following the recent SE winds.
My recent, best, being the Firecrest and Bonaparte's Gull, even though I didn't realise what the gull was when I photographed It :eek!:.

Many Thanks again, never know, might even bump into you during our visit.

Lands End and the lizard area is the place to go to see chough if you can be bothered driving that far Scuzz. I think there's an rspb sea and cliff viewing area at lands end.

Lands End and the lizard area is the place to go to see chough if you can be bothered driving that far Scuzz. I think there's an rspb sea and cliff viewing area at lands end.

Cheers Pastynator :t:,
That could be our lasses day out sorted :-O, and a possible Chough for me :t:.

Thanks foor your reply.

Just to thank all for your response, especially Roy C :t:.
I didn't get to Lizard point or lands end but did manage to take on board most of what Roy mentioned including Hartland point.
The highlight of the trip, bird-wise was the spoonbill which we hit on lucky with, tide-wise etc, that is when we eventually found Isley marsh, very poorly sign posted for a RSPB place.
Anyway There were two present amongst the egrets, one of which was covered in various colored rings, best views I've had of this bird. Plenty other bird life including linnet, goldfinch, meadow pipit, skylark, knot,,oyster catcher, redshank, curlew etc + buzzard and very distant mash harrier. I suppose all in all the estuary area was the most productive.
Northern burrows was a bit wild weather wise, but managed a few shots of the para surfers :-O.
We did call at Tamer Lakes which was just down the road from Wooda lakes where we were staying, first bird we saw when we got in the hide was a buzzard which disappeared as fast as It appeared, not much else here other than cormorant, BH gulls, grey heron, coot, mallard, teal etc.

Attachments

• _MG_5823.jpg
    _MG_5823.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_5829.jpg
    _MG_5829.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_5849.jpg
    _MG_5849.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_5928.jpg
    _MG_5928.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_5940.jpg
    _MG_5940.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 42
A few more form the past week.

Attachments

• _MG_5541.jpg
    _MG_5541.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_5711.jpg
    _MG_5711.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_6016.jpg
    _MG_6016.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_6019.jpg
    _MG_6019.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_9325.jpg
    _MG_9325.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 35
Last few,
Noticed the perched buzzard as we traveled back from the estuary one day, had all the traffic held up including a police car :eek!: while I grabbed a shot of the bird.

Once again many thanks :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_6026.jpg
    _MG_6026.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_6065.jpg
    _MG_6065.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_9092.jpg
    _MG_9092.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_9272.jpg
    _MG_9272.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_9497.jpg
    _MG_9497.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back