• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cold hands, but a good reward! (1 Viewer)

jamesevry

After 2 or so hours of skiing it was definetly time for a little birdwatch, so I decided to head somewhere quiet in the trees. finding the perfect spot, I settled down and my friends left me, planning to meet at the same spot 20minutes later. shortly after they left drumming gave away the presence of a woodpecker some way off, but unfortunatly there was a blooming great gorge between me and it! so I waited in agony for 50min+ with not a single sight of the woodpecker untill eventually my friends finally turned up! (I don't know what was worse them being a tad late of my freezing(!) cold hands!

Anyway, later that day in the evening I returned to the same spot to here the woodpecker just of to my right down a (steep) slope. so I struggled down there to try and get a view of whatever woodpecker it was (because it never seemed to come out from behind the tree). My stealthy aproach soon was ruined when a slipped down the hill heading straight for the tree where the woodpecker was (not getting any grip with my ski boots), but managed to regain control and stop myself 7 or so metres from the tree. But it was all worth it when a beautiful black woodpecker emerged from behind the tree and gave great views perching for about a minute before flying of and back to the tree giving its (pretty distinctive) flight/alarm call.
a great way to end the day with my 9th european woodpecker (species).

This was at poiana brasov in romania if anyones intrested, sorry if I blabbered on a bit!8-P

Nice! I like very much Black Woodpeckers. If you want to see them once again, they are an usual presence in Mogosoaia (only 7 kilometeres from Bucharest). It is a nice english park there. It is also a good place to see some Long-eared Owls. If you need a guide...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back