• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds, Costa Rica, Part VII (December, 2016) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

Continuing with my previous posts -- these pictures were taken in December 2016 in Costa Rica.

1 - 2: these were taken between December 26 and 28 in Bajos del Toro near the Central Valley of Costa Rica
3 - 5 were taken on December 31 in San Jose.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Black Vulture? The bird seems to be flying upside-down, was it doing some stunts?
2. Broad-winged Hawk?
3. Northern Waterthrush (I say Northern because of the not-so-clean throat, but I could be wrong .. I seem to always get them wrong)
4. female Yellow Warbler?
5. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird?

What do you think?
Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• bop1.jpg
    bop1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 46
  • bop3.jpg
    bop3.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 38
  • waterthrush.jpg
    waterthrush.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 42
  • yellow_warbler1.jpg
    yellow_warbler1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 48
  • hummer1.jpg
    hummer1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I don't think the Hummer is a Rufous-tailed (it e.g. lacks red basal half of bill). My guess is Scaly-breasted Sabrewing, but not quite sure.

This is the hummer digitally enlarged to 200%. Unfortunately this is all I got. Could this give any clue?

Edit: what I can make out is: it is a medium-sized hummingbird (not as tiny as mountaingems, for e.g.), with long wings that extend almost beyond the tail, and green/black or gray breast (certainly not white).

Attachments

• hummer2.jpg
    hummer2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
On the proposed yellow warbler, the rear undertail coverts are white and the tail itself is dark. That area is usually yellow on all yellow warbler variants

Niels

1-3: correct
4: Tennessee Warbler. Yellows are completely yellow underneath, have larger bills, etc.
5: Tough one... my best guess would be a Rufous-tailed in weird lighting, or an immature. Really not sure, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back