• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint - South Africa (1 Viewer)

safariranger

Hi, there has been some thoughts on this stint being a rarity. I don't want to mention which just yet. I would appreciate any and all opinions of those who know their waders well on what they would say this is. These photos are not mine but being shared from those who have manged to photograph the bird. I apologise for the poor quality.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Attachments

• Marievale Stint a .jpg
    Marievale Stint a .jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 129
  • marievale Stint b .jpg
    marievale Stint b .jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 127
Advance notice: I do not have any experience with Nearctic waders and I am in no way expert
Seeing this in Europe or the Middle East I would call it a Temminck Stint with mud covered thus dark looking legs, and as no one dares to comment, this is just to make an opening to the fainthearts ;-)

The wingtips seems to project well behind the tail but this is far from clear cut on these pictures

The tail should protude the wingtips in Temminck's which it seems not to do, agreed? Hence, it shouldn't be a Temminck's. What else but Little Stint could it be?

Thank you tconzemi, CARERY and KGS for your comments. I sent the above two photos to another gentleman whom I regard as quite a wader expert (my opinion). He was quick to call the first bird a Temminck's and the second bird nothing else but a Little Stint.

Thank you tconzemi, CARERY and KGS for your comments. I sent the above two photos to another gentleman whom I regard as quite a wader expert (my opinion). He was quick to call the first bird a Temminck's and the second bird nothing else but a Little Stint.

Aren't they the same bird?

I also assumed the photos show the same bird. If they aren't, yes #1 does look more like Temminck than #2 but even from this angle I'd expect to see the protruding tail. I still think also #1 is Little Stint.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back