• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acro Warblers from ETHIOPIA. (1 Viewer)

bassel

Hello for all of you .

Just returned from a birding trip with several photos for ACRO warblers. I see myself very week in identifying them , though I claimed the ID's but never sure about any of them. Please serious help is needed to Id these ACROs , and the help will be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

The birds as I claimed.

1-Eurasian reed ?? (upperparts pale and not dark brown , and head pattern is flat not rounded ?? )

2-African reed ? ( Short tail and considerably smaller than other Acros.

3-little rush warbler ??

4- no idea

5- no idea.

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 893.jpg
    Picture 893.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 992.jpg
    Picture 992.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 112
I think (though I have no prior experiance) 1 and 5 may be clamorous reed warbler, based on the short PP and long bill. I may be quite wrong however!

I think (though I have no prior experiance) 1 and 5 may be clamorous reed warbler, based on the short PP and long bill. I may be quite wrong however!

Hello Dwatson.

Actually I didnt think that any of these will be clamorous , since the head pattern of birds 1 and 5 is not round enough to match clamorous , and the birds are considerably small. Also I saw all these birds out of the range where clamorous will be resident. I saw the birds in central ethiopia(Lake Awasa) , where clamorous reed is only restricted to the coast of Djibouti.

Thanks a lot anyway

I'd look to Little Rush Warbler for 2, and Tawny-flanked Prinia for 3, and I'm steering clear of the others for now!

James

Hello james.

Most probably you are right. I dont know how I missed the prinia though I pictured plenty of it before. The warbler , and returning to my guide seems fit for little rush. Thanks again and please asking you to try to help with the other.

(1) Probably Eurasian Reed
(2) Little Rush
(3) TFP
(4) African Reed?
(5) African Reed?

I'm not going to be certain on these though, I'm afraid.

The first and large images show a bird with a relatively long and slightly decurved bill, rather greyish underparts and non-descript greyish face pattern; the legs look strong, black and the claws are quite strong. They are not great photos, but they appear to show parvus Lesser Swamp Warbler.

The fourth image is richer, but still has quite a long and markedly graduated tail, so is perhaps the same, but younger. I can't see them as Reed/Af. Reed, but I may be mis-reeding them...

Brian S

The first and large images show a bird with a relatively long and slightly decurved bill, rather greyish underparts and non-descript greyish face pattern; the legs look strong, black and the claws are quite strong. They are not great photos, but they appear to show parvus Lesser Swamp Warbler.

The fourth image is richer, but still has quite a long and markedly graduated tail, so is perhaps the same, but younger. I can't see them as Reed/Af. Reed, but I may be mis-reeding them...

Brian S

Hello Brian and thanks for trying to help. Actually I agree with you that the fourth bird would probably be lesser swamp. Long tail , rich upperparts and white throat contrasting with the underparts. Also I saw lesser swamp last year in the same location and I can see that it is probably lesser swamp. But I would ask you why the bird in number one photo would not be eurasian reed. I'd rather agree with TZ birder , since I believe the upperparts are not rich brown and no contrast between throat and breast. So maybe a eurasian reed ??

Thanks

But I would ask you why the bird in number one photo would not be eurasian reed. I'd rather agree with TZ birder , since I believe the upperparts are not rich brown and no contrast between throat and breast. So maybe a eurasian reed ??

Thanks

See attached for obvious reason.

Brian S

Attachments

• LSWannotate.jpg
    LSWannotate.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 68
Hello Again Brian

Thanks for the illustration. I started to be convinced by Lesser swamp. actually I got back to the photos and saw a photo that clearly shows the contrast between the whiter throat and the darker breast. The contrast was not seen from the first photo above since it was taken from side. lso as you said , if you look deep at the bill , the tip is slightly decurved . I attached the other photo downside. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back