• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop 7 won't open my Canon raw files (1 Viewer)

wilfredsdad

Hello - wonder if anyone might possibly be able to help me with a bit of nitty gritty technical stuff. My Photoshop Elements 7 won't open my EOS 500D raw files. The files have a .CR2 extension (is that the current Canon raw file format?) but when I try to open them in Elements 7 I get a message saying " . . . . . wrong type of file" ???
I tried looking for help on the Adobe online help system - I would say if you value your sanity DON'T GO THERE.
It's not too big an issue because of course I can open and process them in DPP but it might prove handy to be able to open them in Elements 7 (as promised by Adobe). Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated, kind regards Pete

(added 5mins later - whoops sorry, just realised I should have put this in the 'Photoshop, Paintshop, printing' forum - don't know how to move it - if someone else does - please do - thankyou)

Last edited:
Hello - just to say that I have solved the problem. For anyone else encountering the same problem what you have to do is: download 'Camera Raw_5_6.zip from the Adobe downloads page (watch your blood pressure!). Very exact instuctions are given on the lower portion of that page for installing the bit you need to install (once you have downloaded) and you have to follow them very exactly. This is the raw file convertor for Elements 7 - if you are using another version of Elements or Photoshop CS then there are different files to download.
Having said all of that, the raw file opening and processing in Elements 7 is so slow and it does not seem to me to be in anyway better than what you have in DPP - also in DPP you get a thumbnailed broweser of your .CR2 files as soon as you open the directory in DPP - something which I find enormously useful and which is sadly lacking in Photoshop Elements - did have it in Elements 2 - but some loony at Adobe decided not to include it in later versions - they replaced it with the 'Organiser' which I find so complicated and cumbersome I don't bother with it, regards Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back